Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

Andrews BS (load of old cobblers) meter goes into overload. lol
    May we examine the question from the other side for a moment?

Should the EMDrive turn out actually to work as claimed, would this have consequences that ripple through our edifice of theoretical physics? IOW, how much, and what, of what we think we know now would be contradicted by an actual operating EMDrive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013 edited

Shawyer claims it is all within classical and quantum physics, but I suppose he would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not consistent with Newtonian mechanics or Maxwell's EM theory from the little I know. Didn't he offer some armwaving about General Relativity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: TrimShawyer claims it is all within classical ans quantum physics, but I suppose he would.

Blimey. Has anyone seen the real Trim?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEndeavour

I did that's how I lost my head, it was horrible.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: TrimShawyer claims it is all within classical ans quantum physics, but I suppose he would.
    Shawyer is a moron.
    Posted By: alsetalokinMay we examine the question from the other side for a moment?

Should the EMDrive turn out actually to work as claimed, would this have consequences that ripple through our edifice of theoretical physics? IOW, how much, and what, of what we think we know now would be contradicted by an actual operating EMDrive?
    Yes. Physics would be fucked. That's a technical term.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Shawyer was obviously inspired by Ltseung's Helibox, soon to be made into a revolutionary propulsion system by Dizzy Hugh Deasy.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Helibox!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013

lead that man out by the nearest door.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013

Never open the HELLBOX!! ;)
    Whaat?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nasa-says-emdrive-does-work-it-may-have-also-created-star-trek-warp-drive-1499098

The article says that Eagleworks has tested in hard vaccum and found thrust.

Andrew, are you still in contact with Paul March?

A bit of clarification: The Eagleworks crew hope to have the 1.2kW magnetron teeter-totter test-rig up and running by the END of June or perhaps now the first couple of weeks of July 2015. At the moment we are in the middle component procurement & fabrication, and that task is taking longer than expected due to mill breakdowns in the NASA fabrication shop and the usual supply vendor's taking their time to fill and ship orders.

Best, Paul M.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=f64g799nlppv61tgltcmu7u144&topic=36313.2120
    Watch this space. Paul has discovered that maximum rate of phase change through resonance is an important parameter.

Meanwhile Shawyer continues to misunderstand high school physics while accusing everybody else of the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015 edited

Good for him.

What I want to know is whether or not NASA/Eagleworks have in fact tested in hard vacuum and found data that indicates thrust, as the IBT article states. Some other sources are saying No, they haven't yet tested in vacuum and that the editors of IBT are just... er... overenthusiastic in their interpresstations.
    In the meantime the following thought occurred to me. Paul states that a FoM is d(phi)/df, and that has units of seconds. So does Isp (for some people)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanFoM is d(phi)/df,

Can you decryptify that please.
    figure of merit is the rate of change of phase angle with frequency.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

Well, for sure it has dimensions of seconds.

But frequency is a measure of the rate of change of angle. Unless the phase angle refers to a different angle than the frequency angle refers to FoM becomes the rate of change of angle with the rate of change of angle. Now what?

I guess we'd better figure out what phase angle is under discussion.
    Posted By: AngusFoM becomes the rate of change of angle with the rate of change of angle.
    Not quite; FoM is the change of angle with respect to the rate of change of angle - not the same thing. Like dividing position by velocity.