Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Thanks. I've passed this on.

ETA It's useful in that it shows how to use cheap magnetrons and implement phase modulation which leaves the frequency exactly the same - which is what they want, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

Posted By: alsetalokinWhaat?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nasa-says-emdrive-does-work-it-may-have-also-created-star-trek-warp-drive-1499098

The article says that Eagleworks has tested in hard vaccum and found thrust.

Andrew, are you still in contact with Paul March?

A bit of clarification: The Eagleworks crew hope to have the 1.2kW magnetron teeter-totter test-rig up and running by the END of June or perhaps now the first couple of weeks of July 2015. At the moment we are in the middle component procurement & fabrication, and that task is taking longer than expected due to mill breakdowns in the NASA fabrication shop and the usual supply vendor's taking their time to fill and ship orders.

Best, Paul M.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=f64g799nlppv61tgltcmu7u144&topic=36313.2120

Nice find.
    Actually I was told about the vacuum successes back at Christmas and had simply forgotten
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not headline news, then-
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

But it is, especially if further experiments are consistent with the positive results in a vacuum.

It would be well worth the money that it would take to increase its "Q" by cooling it down 2 superconductivity and to 2 see if its lift increased as much as expected.

If it does then it would really help Skylon and make 'powersats' feasible.

Worth a headline or 2.
    • CommentAuthortinker

That would be 2 2 cool.
    @Angus - I am very comfortable with RF circuits and yet am no microwave engineer. I've established that for less than $50 I can pick up a microwave oven magnetron that will deliver about 1 KW. It's also clear that varying the phase as fast as possible is a key to making this effect bigger (if it exists). But the paper is fairly opaque to me. What needs to be done?

ETA another one
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.04118
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015 edited

You can get microwaves from Freecycle for nothing. I just picked up an 800W one to cannibalise. Since I didn't need a glamorous one I asked for one 'for sterilizing potting compost' - scruffy but working.

Took 24 hours from posting on Freecycle to collecting one.
    Why would you sterilise compost?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Nasty bugs.
    Yes but you kill the useful microbes right along with them
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Which are easily replaced, there are all sorts of nasty bugs, eggs and spores and weeds that you want gone, you can always add nice ones from unaffected soil or what you buy.
    •  
      CommentAuthormagic moment

Be very careful playing with magnetrons!! It takes only a few seconds of exposure to cook your lenses. And long term exposure of weak signals can give you cataracts in a matter of weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_burn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not to mention all the other nasty aspects of high voltage and RF.
    I'm more interested in successfully parsing the contents of that paper, actually
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Sorry, I'm the wrong guy. I found it just on a quick search to see the state of the technology in shifting the frequency of cavity oscillators in the RF. RF engineering isn't my thing. Injection locking is also used in lasers, which are also cavity oscillators.
    If there are any microwave engineers here do pipe up. I should perhaps go troll usenet
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusNot to mention all the other nasty aspects of high voltage and RF.

I've got a stack of old microwave oven magnetrons; I've never put any to use--I strip microwave ovens mostly for fan motors and transformers.
    • CommentAuthorthehard

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanYes but you kill the useful microbes right along with them

That reminds me I want to do a bet.

Last Thursday I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted. Will have the other 2 removed in about a month. In total, I will take 2 weeks worth of antibiotics.

I've never suffered any kind of allergies. Wanna bet I'll become allergic to something within the next 2 years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorE-Man

Posted By: thehard
    I've never suffered any kind of allergies. Wanna bet I'll become allergic to something within the next 2 years?

Hmmm...I'd put a few hundred against that if we had a clear allergy skin test taken in the near future and one with abnormal responses taken in 2 years.