Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I think I'll scratch my butt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

Please only tell Angus the results of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I do so hope that the Emdrive works, it would make the human rated star tram so easy, even Andrew could build it, with a load of financial help and my supervision of course.
    Have you no respect for physics?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I'm rooting for the unicorns myself. Think how nice and good it would be to have pink fairy unicorns everywhere, free of charge, cheering people up and dispensing little candies.
    Let's step back and take a deep breath. A propellantless propulsion device generates free energy after having accelerated from rest to a velocity equal to 2/k m/s, where k is the FoM of the device, expressed in N/W. The derivation is high school physics level so you can do this yourselves.

The EagleWorks device is claimed to get 100 uN of thrust from 50 W of input power.
    That makes k = 2*10-6, and thus v0 = 106 m/s.
    That's not a constructible piece of engineering.

Therefore be content with the motive force aspect (if it's real). Let's look at that in a bit more detail.

Estimated all-up weight of batteries, electronics and device = 100 Kg.
    Thrust again is 100 uN.
    So acceleration is 10-7 gee.

Elon Musk need not worry about threats to Tesla.
    In fact, nobody need worry.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Is this story just more hype with little basis in fact? I say this because I'm seeing terms such as "warp drive" to refer to this.

Pure stuff and nonsense.
    The pop press are a bunch of assholes. Disregard that
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2015

I can understand NASA Eagleworks putting out such statements in very early April but not in early May.

Either they carried out such an experiment in a vacuum and got positive results or they didn't.

If they did and repeated it a number of times then either their competence is very low and they should be sacked or it isn't and physics would have to change its game.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

If it really works, it works. But it won't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2015 edited

I really hope it does though, as Angus will have to do a load of quick talking, very quick talking.
    In the Nominal Bunch, the only currency accepted is the Baud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimI really hope it does though, as Angus will have to do a load of quick talking, very quick talking.

No prob. One of the basic skills one learns in this biz is the ability to convince people that you were predicting all along whatever the latest agreed facts are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I can think up several useful things 2 do with a working Emdrive, can anybody else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Alarm!!! Alarm!!!

!!! Woo Alarm Grade III !!!

One of the hallmarks of woo is to rhapsodise about the wonders that will result without having established the factuality of what they are supposed to result from.

Not acceptable on the 'trap, says Angus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Who has rhapodised woo on the trap?

I am not saying anything until I have all the patents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimWho has rhapodised woo on the trap?

Nobody, yet. I hope.

And if nobody rhapsodizes about the wonders he could do if only, just only, the Emdrive were to be real, then we will continue pure of woo.
    As the driven snow guv'nor
    Posted By: TrimI can think up several useful things 2 do with a working Emdrive, can anybody else?

This starting to remind me of Babcat.