Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Delivering maximum power into a load of complex impedance is done via the conjugate match. Temperature changes in the load change its impedance. I have never seen a compact variable matcher that allows an auto-match. It seems to be an eminently tractable problem. I envisage a table-driven varactor-style solution of some sort. Is there anything out there of this nature, or is one to start with a blank piece of paper for the design of an auto-matcher?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013

Matching, including active adjustments is and has been done in the RF world, and the power transmission worlds for ages. Where have you been?
    Unhelpful
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited

Compact is the problem I think.

How about a nice thermal control system to keep the load's thermally changing impedance from changing due to thermal changes in thermosity?

IOW, put it in the icebox.
    Yup. I've seen honking great arrangements - that sturdy shipborne stuff that Hutchison so likes - using motors driving large air-vaned variable capacitors, where the mismatch is sensed by the usual VSWR diode bridge circuit. I was thinking more varactor-style "modern" solutions. In general, two knobs are necessary for a complex impedance change. Then there's the gyrator, an electronic analog of an inductor using an op amp. Implementations depend on power level, as usual.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanYup. I've seen honking great arrangements - that sturdy shipborne stuff that Hutchison so likes - using motors driving large air-vaned variable capacitors, where the mismatch is sensed by the usual VSWR diode bridge circuit. I was thinking more varactor-style "modern" solutions. In general, two knobs are necessary for a complex impedance change. Then there's the gyrator, an electronic analog of an inductor using an op amp. Implementations depend on power level, as usual.

And frequency.
    The auto-match device that ...er.... some people I know.... used for the Podkletnov exp.1 (spinning HTSC gravity shield) occupied a full-height 19-inch relay rack and weighed half a metric tonne, had big motor-driven variable inductors in it, sounded like a huge coffee mill.
    Yeah, that's the ticket. But for QRP (say up to 20 Watts ish) there has to be a better way.
    Now, if one's doing phase tweaks and frequency pulling, I agree it gets gnarlier.

Where is Ningli, where is she?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanUnhelpful
    Perhaps you would get a more helpful answer if:

1) You asked specific questions and
    2) You did not preface your questions with false or at best only conditionally true statements.

There are automatchers of sorts that exist in small sections of microchips. There are automatchers that fill garage size spaces and larger. Size tends to be a matter of power handling capacity and operating frequency.
    I think you ought to copyright that answer before you attempt to sell it to me.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Issues of fact are merely presented. If you're not interested you don't have to accept them. Island Whackado has plenty of space available for those who are adverse to facts.
    Are you saying that you'd prefer me to leave Moletrap?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Island Whackado is not a place.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAre you saying that you'd prefer me to leave Moletrap?
    I generally say what I mean. Moletrap is generally a retreat of tolerance. I don't recall ever having lobbied for anyone to leave moletrap on their own or to be silenced. I am merely a guest. PCSTRU is moletrap's gracious host, not I.

When fuckwittery has occasionally reached critical levels: wonderful, blissful BIPS has almost always taken care of the problem without undue drama. There have only been a few instances when even BIPS would not contain a FWOEM. In those rare cases, eventually one of the admins imposed restrictions on the FWOEM's fuckwittery.

Island Whackado is a place that whackados must choose to enter themselves. It is always there for them. It is never full. It is never empty.
    And there is no "conservation of Woo" to worry about; woo increases without limit if left to its own devices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

FWOEM? FuckWit Of Extraordinary Malevolence?

Would that require a special banner?
    I don't think anyone has earned a banner since AP has been with us.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: AngusFWOEM? FuckWit Of Extraordinary Malevolence?

Would that require a special banner?
    Fuck Wit Of Extraordinary Magnitude

With my apologies to Samuel L. Bronkowitz.
    I misplaced the link to all the special phrases. It's a devil to find, even from the main page
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

What makes entering "glossary" into the search box particularly difficult?
    I read it as FuckWit (Original Equipment Manufacturer).