Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI misplaced the link to all the special phrases. It's a devil to find, even from the main page

Moletrap Dialect is one of them.
    The Moletrap Wiki has much of this material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinI don't think anyone has earned a banner since AP has been with us.

sonoboy got it last, I believe. To my shame I can't figure out which one AP was.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013 edited

I don't think AP ever scaled the heights of fuckwittery necessary to earn a banner. Al, I believe was merely noting that the banners have been getting dusty. We just haven't seen behavior that rivals double oh dimwit's lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

MY had the honor, too.
    AP was the person with the fake user name, IIRC.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: joshsWe just haven't seen behavior that rivals double oh dimwit's lately.

We could invite RA.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

BTW: The use of non-standard acronyms is almost as bad as regular fuckwitterism, IMHO.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

The evolution of FWOEM came from my affection for both: "The Princess Bride", and "The Kentucky Fried Movie". FWOUR seemed awkward. The FW part is widely familiar here.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Here.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I agree, to some degree, that custom acronyms are helping to build and form a virtual community, but it's an unnecessary complication and makes those communities less accessible to interested parties without(completely redundant and useless) inside knowledge.
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI misplaced the link to all the special phrases. It's a devil to find, even from the main page

Moletrap Dialect is one of them.
    The Moletrap Wiki has much of this material.

http://www.moletrap.co.uk/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1032&page=1#Item_0

does not list BIPS
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymandoes not list BIPS

Breed In Plaid Shoes
    I guess I'm safe then. I breed only when barefoot. And do not own such a pair of shoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013 edited

NOT INCLUDE "BIPS"!?

I am ashame, and will investigate when sobriety permits.

ETA 5 minutes later

The shock has eliminated a very good bottle of wine from my system. But I am pleased to say that BIPS is indeed fully documented.

http://www.moletrap.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Dialect
    I really need a robust high voltage switch/amp combo that I can insert between my 40kV HV dc power supply and the load that can handle up to 50kV-peak with peak currents up to a few amps with a turn-on or turn-off switching times measured in say ~100 nanoseconds and be capable of up to a ~500 Hz switching rate. This switch/amp module also needs to be able to generate an asymmetrical saw-tooth waveform that can turn-on in 100 ns but turn-off over say a 1.0 millisecond time period. I’ve looked at Cree’s SiC MOSFETs as possible switching elements but the best I’ve seen only have a 10kV voltage rating and that beast wasn’t on the market yet.

Do you have any ideas on how to build such a device in a small compact package ?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013 edited

Isn't this more the territory of the glass-bottle devices, say, trigatron, krytron, etc.?

Hydrogen thyratrons are manufactured that should fit the bill. Not cheap, however.

a sampling from a vendor
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Yes, with a pulse-shaping network downstream.

Polarizing the vacuum again, are we?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013

Posted By: AsterixIsn't this more the territory of the glass-bottle devices, say, trigatron, krytron, etc.?

Hydrogen thyratrons are manufactured that should fit the bill. Not cheap, however.

a sampling from a vendor
    Tubes or a carefully designed stack of IGBTs would do. One might always scrounge around for some Hipotronics gear. At multi-hundred thousand Watts continuous, this isn't something going into someone's garage.
    Thanks guys
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: joshsTubes or a carefully designed stack of IGBTs would do. One might always scrounge around for some Hipotronics gear. At multi-hundred thousand Watts continuous, this isn't something going into someone's garage.

The gas- or vacuum-filled devices are pretty robust. One mistake in the IGBT stack and your investment evaporates (goes up in smoke?). 40KV at up to a "few amps" is pretty serious stuff.

If you order a bunch of krytrons or sprytrons, you may find yourself visited by some friendly folks who want to know why it is that you feel that it's necessary to construct nuclear weapons--or if you planned on visiting Iran or North Korea any time soon.

The hydrogen thyratrons are used by the military radar and high -power laser people, so you may just find some being sold as surplus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013

Ha! That reminds me of a story from my arctic days (mid sixties). The Pine Tree radar line was gone but DEW was still working for a while. The radars were pretty ancient, all-tube gear. Unfortunately many of the tubes were no longer available. For replacements the military people were reduced to buying Czechoslovak copies of NATO vacuum tubes.