Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I want to see the connectors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013

As far as I understood it these were pin-for-pin copies of western tubes. I didn't plug them in myself, though, and somebody could have been playing a joke on me. It wasn't unknown to do that sort of thing in the long winter nights.
    It's apparently a bitch to get a series stack of IGBTs right, due to device variations
    • CommentAuthortensor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013

Posted By: alsetalokinYes, with a pulse-shaping network downstream.

Polarizing the vacuum again, are we?

Or maybe testing Davis Mechanics?:

http://www.halexandria.org/dward137.htm
    Since the very first equation on that page is bollocks, I stopped reading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Exactly my reaction.
    And I have an equal and non-opposite reaction.
    • CommentAuthortensor

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd I have an equal and non-opposite reaction.

Ha!
    • CommentAuthortensor

Sorry I had to link to the Woo site for Davis Mechanics, but a little googling returned the Analog article "The Fourth Law of Motion":
    http://www.rexresearch.com/dean/davis4.htm

Woo hoo (or should I say woo-woo?)! I was never able to get a copy of this article previously.
    This way lies madness
    • CommentAuthortensor

Aw, c'mon.
    The Dean Drive was my first exposure to serious woo.
    I still have a soft spot for it.

The Dean Drive shall rise again!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Urmmmm.... despite the famous cover painting of the submarine going to Mars, the Dean drive has yet to rise for the first time.
    Dean, there
    Doomed, that
    • CommentAuthortensor

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanDean, there
    Doomed, that

Such spleen!
    But I mean
    I was keen
    on Dean.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013 edited

All Coxed up, to boot. I'm not Kidding, either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Nostalgia!
    • CommentAuthortensor

If it had worked, given the times, would the Russkis have accused the USA'ans of using reactionary reactionless technology?
    Yes! They would have accused them of recklessly deploying OxymoronicTM technology!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Naturally, I'm with the gas thyratron crowd on this..

And I'd be happy to post you a handful of 2D21s, but I don't think they'd cut it. Fast enough, just not nearly wide enough. They do make a ridiculous-yet-functional sawtooth VCO for your all-tube synth, however!

(Aside, years back, an old timer (...) told me about a series of early continuously-variable-speed lathes - probably from the 40s or 50s - that used a bank of gas thyros for speed control. When the devices went NLA sometime in the 70s, various SS replacements were tried, but none of them would hold up in production use; the shit just wouldn't hold together under heavy loads. He further said that by the time the SS stuff was actually up to the job, pretty much all of those machines had been abandoned as un-serviceable.

Anyone know what the real story is or was? I've always wondered which models he might have been describing..

(For those of you who aren't familiar with machine tools, most standard metal lathes achieve speed selection by changing ratios - progressively slipping the drive belt between different sets of pulleys, like a common drill press. Continuous, electronic selectable speed control is a luxury.)

Wow. That was one fucking long aside.)
    Hey, I could use a 2d21 if you've got an extra one. The GenRad Strobotach uses one and I'd like to have a spare.