Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

The solar 11 year cycle explained - maybe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBScyiYIhS4
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2019

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2019

Orion is too fucking heavy. Not even SLS can do a sensible lunar return mission with the fucker. Therefore batshit insane "Lunar Gateway".

But boondoggle.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2019

That just means it's warming up and getting ready to switch fully on.

Took me a while to figure out that "on" is not a preposition in that sentence.
    That's called looking on the bright side.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2019

Here, have a doughnut - oh, sorry, a synestia.
    https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2019/09/09/internal-pressure-and-planet-formation/

As somewhat of an aside, it's always seemed sensible to me that as one descends below the surface of a planet, gravity decreases linearly with decreasing r, becoming zero at the centre, while it always seemed counterintuitive to me that pressure increases with decreasing r, becoming maximum at the centre.

Answer here
    https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/184032/what-is-the-pressure-at-the-center-of-the-earth-or-a-neutron-star

"..actually doing the calculation is somewhat involved" means that I don't know the power law involved
    Yes, I used to stump my science teachers with that one in elementary school.
    It's not too bad though. Just integrate the mass above you and it's a dependency that looks like 1 - (r/R)2

Again, perhaps counterintuitively, the majority of the contribution to the pressure at the centre comes from the "heavier" mass farthest away, near the surface.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2019

How about this. The "gravity" corresponds with a force in one direction only - toward the centre. The pressure reflects the force from both sides of the centre.

Arm waving, but perhaps it may help the confused. Or confuse those needing help.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Consider a hollow sphere made of some massive material. Gravitational forces from opposite sides will cause the sphere to collapse. Else we'd be living with Pellucidar.
    Frank, are you out there somewhere?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Here's another way to look at the problem.

Consider two large masses--mutual gravitation will pull them together. Begin positioned between them will result in your being smashed to goo. Now try two more such masses positioned orthogonally to the original two with the observer still in the middle. Extend the experiment ad infinitum, adding masses to form a continuous shell.

The observer will still be compressed by the surrounding mass.
    Why not use all 3 dimensions?
    (not that I understand any of this)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

THREE! Pathetic. You haven't been stressed until you have undergone five-dimensional pressure.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2019

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanWhy not use all 3 dimensions?
    (not that I understand any of this)

Of course,extend it to three dimensions, but the model still holds. You'll still get squished.