Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

70 percent fat spread... reminds me something I don't want to be reminded of which.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2019

Lard on toast with brown sugar and cinnamon. Yum yum.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Actually, lard (or even bacon grease) was used by poor folks, primarily in the old South when butter was too expensive.

I still use lard for pie crusts--very hard to beat for making a nice flaky crust.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Human diesel oil. It will keep you going for hours standing in a dinghy in the North Sea, holding a fishing line.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

What I liked when I was a kid was a 2-5mm 50/50 mixture of butter+honey on bread of any kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

You couldn't get lard? Was that a Jewish thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

WTF? Butter is much cheaper than lard. Also, too, what has this to do with me being a Jew?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: aber0derWTF? Butter is much cheaper than lard. Also, too, what has this to do with me being a Jew?

Butter vs. lard depends on the local economy. I have no doubt that lard in Mississippi was much cheaper than butter back in the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Lard is pig fat. Five pound bucket was five bucks when I was a kid back in the fifties.

No offense intended.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2019 edited

I'm not interested in your affairs with Ms. Hippy. At all. But 50/50 butter/honey spread is what wheat supremacists crave for.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: goatcheezLard is pig fat. Five pound bucket was five bucks when I was a kid back in the fifties.

No offense intended.

I was surprised recently when looking for lard (for baking) at a local chain supermarket. Couldn't find any, so sought out the manager. I was informed that they didn't carry lard "because it's bad for you". I just stared at her incredulously. It would have been hopeless taking her to task about the nature of the items occupying the bulk of the market space.

It's just this local store--other stores of the same chain carry the stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2019 edited

Weird. I can buy lard everywhere. (in Supermarkets) In the ALDIs and LIDLs lard is onhly available in seasonal special sales events like 'llard a melania' or "I'd fuck her TRUMP" thingoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Of coiurse, as I undertand, there is a lot of merde-en-largo you don't want to step in. But it's simple, just flush the TURD.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I suspect a bit of prejudice. The Hispanic spices and peppers are tucked away in a dark corner of the store.

When I'm shopping for chicken bouillon, I buy "Caldo con sabor de pollo" instead of the same stuff from the anglo section labeled "Chicken flavor bouillon". Same Knorr brand, same content, just 20% cheaper. I use it for adding a bit of flavor to some recipes.
    Crisco (basically vegetable lard) and white sugar, on lightly toasted white bread.