Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2020

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2020

That made me all nostalgic. We had a very good day out at the Parkes Dish a few years ago whilst on holidays. Wouldn't mind getting out there again some day soonish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2020

She cannae take the strain, Captain!
    Proxima b is likely not the closest exoplanet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtildAirbo8
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2021

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanProxima b is likely not the closest exoplanet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtildAirbo8

Too much fluff to get to a simple answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I think the idea is that Proxima goes round the Alpha-Beta pair in a long orbit and for alternate fifty thousand years or so it is on the far side.
    Not a very good place to put a planet, if you want it to be alive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Close orbit around a flare star on a long orbit around a binary? Gets attention anyway.
    Posted By: AngusI think the idea is that Proxima goes round the Alpha-Beta pair in a long orbit and for alternate fifty thousand years or so it is on the far side.
    No, but some of you seem to not have watched all 10 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Couldn't endure the voice that long. But after being so harshly admonished I skipped ahead and found - - - empty speculation of some sort that doesn't induce me to endure more of the voice.

If interesting please summarise. Somebody should take the hit for the moletrap team.
    Rogue planets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

They found 474 incidents of microlensing, ten of which were brief enough to be planets of around Jupiter's size with no associated star in the immediate vicinity. The researchers estimated from their observations that there are nearly two Jupiter-mass rogue planets for every star in the Milky Way.[13][14][15] One study suggested a much larger number, up to 100,000 times more rogue planets than stars in the Milky Way, though this study encompassed hypothetical objects much smaller than Jupiter.[16] A 2017 study by Przemek Mróz of Warsaw University Observatory and colleagues, with six times larger statistics than the 2011 study, indicates an upper limit on Jupiter-mass free-floating or wide-orbit planets of 0.25 planets per main-sequence star in the Milky Way

I'd say the jury is out on how far away the nearest rogue planet might be. To say that Prox b is "likely" not closest is maybe overstating it.

In any case a "rogue planet" does not meet the definition of a planet even to the extent of poor Pluto.
    A planet is an astronomical body orbiting a star or stellar remnant that is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity, is not massive enough to cause thermonuclear fusion, and – according to the International Astronomical Union but not all planetary scientists – has cleared its neighbouring region of planetesimals.
    Just more stuff in the way of a fast cruiser. Shoot an arrow in a forest and you will hit a tree. It might be an interesting exercise to imagine a Space Cruiser (tm TKLabs monkworks division) travelling at, say, 0.2 c relative. How far away can a Jovian class rogue planet be detected by the cruiser and what kind of sideways acceleration is required to miss it and then get back on course?
    and brown dwarves
    At least they radiate. A cold dark cinder of a big rogue might be harder to miss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2021

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanand brown dwarves

...dwarfs, actually...

(See Sabine's "How to talk like a Physicist" for context.)
    i wondered if you'd notice
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2021

What? Sabine or your Tolkeinism?