Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020

Ask Great Atuin.
    Down, silly.
    Down and down and down and down and down and down we go, hurry now darling we mustn't be late for the show
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I’m sorry, my posts are embarrassingly stupid and ignorant.
    Posted By: loremanI’m sorry, my posts are embarrassingly stupid and ignorant.

Nonsense. You are looking for the limits, the edges, the zones of transition... dare I say the loopholes? The crumbly little stone that can be picked away at until the whole edifice teeters and totters. The Jinga piece, the pick-up-stick, the catalyst of the glue that holds it all together. Nothing stupid or ignorant about that, and I'm the one who should be embarrassed.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I’m just trying to understand the physics concept of “information”. I get that Shannon entropy is about surprises and expectations. I keep going back to what I understand Wolfram to mean by “computational equivalence”, and his views about a tessellated Universe. At some level, those things, if they really are separate things, meet up somehow. Does Shannon entropy exist because the Universe is computational? Is 2LoT a special case of a more general computational proposition? Where is 2LoT “stored”? It can’t arise out of computational complexity, rather to me it is really the descriptor of the “direction” in which that computation proceeds. I don’t know, and I’m not smart enough to figure it out, which is frustrating.
    As a thing is viewed, so it appears.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Remember the noise the old 2400 baud telephone modems made? It sounds like white noise to our ears and we would be hard put to describe it as "information". Unless we observe and examine it in just the right way. You might say we project a framework onto the noise which allows us to extract or decode the information it brings. Similarly we project the framework of mathematical physics onto a world that is doing its own thing for its own reasons. Even attributing "reasons" or motivations is another example of this projection of framework. As viewed, so appears. If you look for ghosts long enough, you will find them.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Yep, and we’ve evolved with a drive to make shapes out of it all. Why that is, when it doesn’t seem to be an evolutionary imperative, is a question in itself. And “it’s a byproduct of needing to intuitively calculate trajectories for throwing rocks” just doesn’t cut Le moutarde.
    Ask yourself whether you believe numbers exist, or are merely a construct.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

You can prove that there’s one number between every two other numbers ;-).

I know numbers are cyphers. Now all I need is to be able to properly understand what a cypher is. All the while, Satie’s Gymnopedies tick away in the background. I need to go and fire off a few arrows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020 edited

I think loreman’s question boils down to “What is the relation between information entropy and thermodynamic entropy” and I think it is a good question. So I will risk making a fool of myself and try a response..

Very simply put, thermodynamic entropy is a notion that captures where the energy goes when you change the amount of heat, i.e. energy in a system but don’t change the temperature. That can happen when the energy is absorbed in a phase change or chemical reaction.

Ignoring the gory details, you can (if you are a genius like Ludwig Boltzmann ) work out a way to formulate thermodynamics in terms of the number of different configurations a system can possibly be in (omega) and come up with an expression for entropy (S)

S= k ln(omega)

where k is Boltzmann’s constant.

In his information theory work Shannon conceived information as the degree to which any outcome of a random variable is surprising. If there are 64 possible outcomes to dropping a stone on a chessboard you could say that any particular one could be found by asking 6 yes/no questions, (since 2^6 = 64), and that is the degree of your surprise at any particular answer to which square of a chessboard has been selected. Note that the probability of selecting any square is p=1/64. Shannon information is defined as -Log2[p]. He defined information entropy as

S = -p Log2[p]

The reason why thermodynamic and information entropy are called entropy is because both have essentially the same definition and arrive from the same probability considerations.
    No quibbles here.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAsk yourself whether you believe numbers exist, or are merely a construct.

Anyway, isn’t the more interesting question why we’re hardwired to construct numbers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

We aren't. They exist independently of us and are discovered by other creatures as well as us. Crows, for example.
    I believe in the existence of crows.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: AngusWe aren't. They exist independently of us and are discovered by other creatures as well as us. Crows, for example.

I don’t accept that we’re not hardwired to count on the basis that crows can do it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I would have thought it would be quite apparent by now that we don't count.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I think we do.
    The code of the virus
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/03/science/coronavirus-genome-bad-news-wrapped-in-protein.html

Contains umpteen different hacks to the target cell. Staggering for such a small genome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2020

LOL! I reported this very story weeks ago and everyone laughed.