Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014 edited

My roo-bots to the rescue.

The third of fertile women could each have 20 children so every non fertile couple who wanted children could adopt.

Or cloning could be introduced, it of course depends on how the non fertile people became sterile.

Artificial uterus's could be developed, life would go on for those who could afford it.
    Posted By: magic momentWhat percentage of couples could have birth children?

<sigh>
    What percentage of the released anaerobes would survive the high oxygen content in the atmosphere and go on to infect people?
    It depends on whether they're married
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014

I'm not sure that the concept "marriage" would apply to any anaerobes since they're all asexual.
    Yabut they could like one another a lot
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Gay germs - the world is not ready...
    Gay? When they're asexual? Surely thou jesteth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well if they're not of different sex and they are inordinately affectionate, are they acceptable in Muscovite society?
    Excellent point
    Forget it.

<heavier sigh>
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

OK, I'll play. Two thirds of the population is sterile. Since it is not stated that this condition is sex-selected we can assume that this also means that two thirds of the population of each sex is sterile. If only one couple is to marry, and the population is infinite, the likelihood that each of the couple is fertile is 1/3 and the likelihood that the couple itself is fertile is therefore 1/9.

Or in other words for every three males and three females there is on the average one fertile pair, four pairings in which one member is fertile and four pairings in which neither member is fertile. The likelihood of a fertile pair at random is 1/9.

If everybody marries then for every fertile pair there are two infertile pairs actually formed on the average, and the percentage of fertile pairs then increases to 1/3.
    •  
      CommentAuthormagic moment

Yaaayyyy! See, you had the right answers but did not show your work.

Well, maybe.

The question was: "What percentage of couples could birth children."

The factual answer is 1/3 whether the population marries or not. Sorry, it's kind of a woman thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I don't know what you find preferable in "birth (v.)" as opposed to "have". As for marry" I intended that as a simple euphemism.

There is one thing in this realm that bothers me, though - it's the silly phrase "They're pregnant". Mrs. A has done that, but I certainly never did. So "they" never seemed to be giving due credit.
    Clarified for Trim's benefit. Makes nix nox to me.

I guess if 2/3 rds of men are infertile, sperm is not only sacred but valuable. What a way to make a living, eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

"Come and get it. Get it while it's hot."
    If a hen and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half...
    and you have six hens, what is your weekly egg harvest?

Oh never mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Whaaaaa? That makes no sense. The correct question is "How many pancakes does it take to shingle a doghouse?"
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

There are four hens-and-a-half in six hens, therefore six hens will lay 4 x one egg-and-a-half, or six eggs, in one day and a half. Since there are four and two-thirds one-days-and-a-half in a week, you will get 6 eggs/dayandahalf x 4.67 day-and-a-halfs/week = 28 eggs per week.

Curiously, this is also the same number of pancakes it takes to shingle a doghouse, south of the Mason-Dixon line.
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2014

And how many do you need to dongle a shithouse?