Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanhttp://www.technologyreview.com/view/529146/protect-society-from-our-inventions-say-genome-editing-scientists/

Such work should be done by telepresence on the moon.
    Arguably also black hole research
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

No thanks, even Pluto is to close for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

NW

The electric slide dance of DNA knots.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=36648.php
    It's "too", not "to". You're always doing that
    Posted By: TrimThe electric slide dance of DNA knots.
    "Looks like a nasty case of clove-hitch disease, doctor"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

Sweepstakes: has Venter pissed of enough people that he will never get the Nobel no matter what? I'll lay a buck on "yes".
    I'm watching The Thing and pondering how much innate intelligence, knowledge and motivations can be packed into a few chromosomes of DNA. Splashpoints:

1. It uses metadata in the form of the specification of a fuzzy state machine, aka embryology. That means it's compressed information efficiently, and also allowed for small natural differences to generate variety. Clever.

2. It's not just the DNA; it's also how it's wrapped, and something about histones too.

3. Lamarckianism is a fact, but it's not a Darwin-killer. What does the code look like for innate behaviours that spontaneously emerge after birth? Yeah, really.

You could probably encode an entire culture into DNA. Language, mores, history, culture, science, art...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014

Isn't 'culture' by definition not encoded in and passed by DNA?
    Lamarckianism.

But anyway...

I was talking about a theoretical possibility; I was looking at raw information capacity. Am I such a terrible communicator?

Unless, of course, you think culture is by definition unencodable.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanUnless, of course, you think culture is by definition unencodable.

That's an interesting question. I would think that culture, as I understand it, is a transient phenomenon and can't be pre-encoded. The point of 'culture' is that it's a faster and more flexible mode of data transfer and than DNA.

ETA: (DNA is unconscious, culture is the result of consciousness)
    Posted By: aber0derThat's an interesting question.
    From which I imply that you didn't originally mean that culture is intrinsically unencodable.

But I have no clue as to the meaning of the words which you just wrote down.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanFrom which I imply that you didn't originally mean that culture is intrinsically unencodable.

Yes, I was still in the process of forming my opinion. Now I'm certain that culture can't be DNA encoded. (See the post you refused to understand)
    There was no refusal. It just makes no sense is all.

I am certain that culture can be encoded.
    Since everything can be encoded and culture is a thing, so am I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: aber0derThat's an interesting question.
    From which I imply that you didn't originally mean that culture is intrinsically unencodable.

But I have no clue as to the meaning of the words which you just wrote down.

Infer, fuckssake!!

Epigenetic studies are rapidly on a path to validate a lot of Lamarckianism, sort of. So who's to say culture cannot be inherited?
    Well, one does get one's culture mostly from one's parents, unless one is Hopi, then one gets it from one's uncle and aunt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinWell, one does get one's culture mostly from one's parents, unless one is Hopi, then one gets it from one's uncle and aunt.

Mebbe in Texas. I don't think that's so true in Syria these days.
    Epigenetic Lamarckianism
    ontologically recapitulates
    morphological ur-phenotypes
    facilitating embryonic recursion.

Burma Shave