Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2020

OK, in that sense the proposal would be right. The "non-repeating decimal" of course would consist of only one digit.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Goes to my point that the notion of "repeating decimals" is an artifact of an attempt to represent exact fractions in a logarithmic fashion.

One of the issues that has dogged computer designers for the last 70 or so years is that 1/10 cannot be exactly represented as a fractional base-2 quantity; e.g. 0.000110011001100110011001100110...

So some provision for decimal arithmetic has to be made (usually a decimal instruction set, or scaled integers) to maintain accuracy when working with money. The earliest commercial computers were exclusively base-10 for that reason.
    Millionaires have become such by accumulating minute amounts of money in great quantity. I presume this ruse doesn't work anymore.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Heh, I worked with a fellow who discovered that the bank was underpaying him on their claim of "continuous compound interest". Went pretty high up in the ranks, who insisted that compounding every second or so was for all intents and purposes, the same thing. He threatened to bring this to the attention of the bank examiners.

The bank relented and gave him his $0.75 or whatever.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanMillionaires have become such by accumulating minute amounts of money in great quantity. I presume this ruse doesn't work anymore.

It is the plot for Superman III from 1983, so I guess the banks might have worked it out.

While Superman is saving lives and protecting the citizens of Metropolis, Gus Gorman, a chronically unemployed ne'er-do-well, discovers he has a talent for computer programming and is hired at the Metropolis-based conglomerate Webscoe. Gus embezzles from his employer through salami slicing, bringing him to the attention of CEO Ross Webster. Webster is intrigued by Gus's potential to help him rule the world financially. Joined by sister Vera and "psychic nutritionist" Lorelei Ambrosia, Ross blackmails Gus into helping him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2020

I found a nifty algorithm to turn a repeating decimal into a rational fraction. I wish I'd thought of it.

If the repeating digits are R=abcdefgh, with a period P(=8 in this case)

then the rational fraction is

F=R/(10^P-1)
    Didn't I discover and prove this last time it came up? Well, no matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2020

I don't remember. It's a very simple proof.
    Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem explained nicely
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-godels-incompleteness-theorems-work-20200714/

I'd never really got it before I happened on this.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2020

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2020

Very helpful, thank you.
    The catch and release program seems to be progressing well.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2020

Posted By: AngusVery helpful, thank you.

A game changer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2020

I should think so. If Pi=3.16227766 bicycle races will go a lot faster.
    I’ve developed the
    QUANTUM RADIATION BALANCER – the genuine product in
    form of a self-adhesive sticker certified by the Hado Life Institute
    of Dr. Masaru Emoto which 100% balances radiation from any
    device, if attached to it, protecting the human body and
    environment from its harmful effects and eliminating with time the
    damages already caused by the radiation. It can be successfully
    applied to: cell phones, computers, laptops, microwave ovens,
    cordless phones, tablets, wireless monitors, Wi-Fi routers, TV-sets,
    Radios, and any other source of radiation.

If it doesn't cure CoVid-19, what good it it?
    It's like lifting up a rock and peering underneath.
    Every odd number is exactly one half of an even number. Yet not every even number is twice an odd number.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2020

Ah. The Unfairness Theorem.
    Zero is even and fair
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2020 edited

What odd number is half of zero?
    But anyway all we have to do is find an even number that is not twice an odd number and the whole number system is unfair. I'm holding up 4 as a particularly bad example.