Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I'm a misanthrope for sure.

I know what I know, but I don't know what I don't know, and I know that a two-legged tripod is both a contradiction and an unstable platform. But I don't know what to do about it other than to say that this morning I'm praying for an extinction-level event. Nothing personal, you understand....

Fucking cops. Fucking Google/YouTube. Fucking SMOTs.

Ah, fuck the lot.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013

Posted By: alsetalokinI'm a misanthrope for sure.

I know what I know, but I don't know what I don't know, and I know that a two-legged tripod is both a contradiction and an unstable platform. But I don't know what to do about it other than to say that this morning I'm praying for an extinction-level event. Nothing personal, you understand....

Fucking cops. Fucking Google/YouTube. Fucking SMOTs.

Ah, fuck the lot.

Try Picamilon. The Russians invented some wonderful stuff.
    My apologies to korkscrew. I just get fed up with the negativism sometimes. I have enough in my own life, thank you very much.
    Are we about to reconcile gravity with quantum mechanics?
    New experiments proposed

The thought experiment is very simple. Do a hit/no hit superposition on a mechanical object, and its gravity will produce a superposition of spacetime via the object's changed/not changed gravity. But the snag is that spacetime isn't supposed to superpose.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Cool.
    Real men use black holes for these kinds of experiments. After we've got our beamers and fusion drives working nicely so we can tazz about no problemo, we need to build one somewhere safely out there so we can mess with it. It doesn't have to be very big, but at least big enough so that it doesn't evaporate away too quickly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

A theory of quantum gravity, wow!

I was daft enough to buy a book by Adrian Berry called the "Iron sun" it was about building a black hole using Bussard scoopships to move enough dust and gas to make a spinning black hole about a light year away from the sun.
    They are dangerous alright. Too small and they go pop. Too big and they will gobble up anything. You want something that has a lifetime of a few months and is far, far away from anything ponderous. And that isn't going to go anywhere significant before it dies.

ETA There's a trick to doing it too. If you just collect quadrillions of quadrillions of tons in one place, you'll probably end up just making some sort of star. It's a bit like the fusion problem - you need to smash the stuff together just right at enormous energies. No idea how to do that, but then again, we're not yet a Type III civilisation, where they do this stuff before breakfast as a recreation.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanMy apologies to korkscrew. I just get fed up with the negativism sometimes. I have enough in my own life, thank you very much.
    No worries mate. Besides, wife said you're right about the misanthrope thing.
    So long as you're a misanthrope BUT NOT a mysoginist, that should work
    Been thinking a little bit about superposed spacetime, since it's such a novel idea. Recall from QM that there's no limit to the number of states that may be simultaneously superposed (and the same applies to entanglement). So another way of thinking about this is as a multiverse. The trouble with that is that the other verses aren't supposed to be accessible, whereas superposed spacetime is right here on our brane. Bollocks. Time to walk the dog.

If you don't know how to do it..
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"The trouble with that is that the other verses aren't supposed to be accessible"

I often wonder about that, and the contiguousness (contiguity?) of the 'verses. Perhaps you don't need dark matter or energy to explain universal expansion after all if there's leaks across boundaries. However, I don't have the physics to develop the idea properly.
    It's a popular idea - that gravity is 1030 weaker than electromagnetism because it's "diluted". It leaks off our brane blah blah. Is this testable? har dee har
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Gravity's just Higgs Bosons conservatively pulling in new electrons to make up for the ones that have moved for'ard in time.
    That's the ticket. Sounds just about like the past 20 years of untestable theorising
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"untestable theorising"

Nah, the bigger the object, the more positively charged it will be. Easy.
    Here's another thing that we don't have much of a clue about, and need new physics to explain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_singularity
    They've been busy at CERN on the LHC upgrades. I can't provide a URL so...

LS1 Report: Successful tests

At the PS Booster, the new beam dump and the associated shielding blocks surrounding it have been successfully installed and the installation of the beam transfer lines are now under way. The BI.SMH septum magnet has been successfully repaired following a confirmed vacuum leak.

At the PS, the consolidation of the seven main PS magnets has started, and the replacement of the old cooling and ventilation system continues to progress well. At the SPS, the replacement of the irradiated cables in Long Straight Section 1 (LSS1) of the SPS is now well under way and proceeding well.

At the LHC, the Superconducting Magnets and Circuits Consolidation (SMACC) project remains ongoing. The closure of internal sleeves has begun in sector 7-8, and the shunt installations, a major consolidation activity, are progressing well in sector 8-1. The equivalent of more than one sector's outer sleeves (W) have been closed, and leak tests are in progress in several sub-sectors. Seven sub-sectors have passed the tests and another seven will soon be tested.

The inspections to identify defects in the DFBA electrical feedboxes have been finalised: in total, four faulty ones have been identified, with damaged gimbal bellows that will need to be repaired. Two of these replacements are under way, which will require part of the DFBA at LHC Point 6 to be brought up and worked on at the surface in the coming weeks.

All 1,344 DN200 safety valves designed to release the helium in the event of pressure build-ups in the accelerator have been successfully installed.

The X-ray testing campaign in the tunnel, aimed at detecting faults in the machine’s cryogenic distribution system, is ahead of schedule with 80% of the tests already having been completed. Moreover, the first short circuit test campaign will start this week at LHC Point 4, validating the replacement of the water-cooled cables.

Lastly, 17 out of the 18 magnets being replaced in the accelerator have already been reconnected and have successfully passed their electrical tests
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThey've been busy at CERN on the LHC upgrades. I can't provide a URL so...

FTFY.

http://home.web.cern.ch/scientists/updates/2013/11/ls1-report-successful-tests