Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2019

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanDescribes a possible natural gamma ray mirror mechanism. That could come in very handy for kugelblitz creation, since it's one of the missing pieces of unobtanium required to create a Black Hole Space Drive.

Posted By: alsetalokinOh wait... you are proposing using a BH-generated graser for propulsion of a gamma-sail like thing?

No. The other way around.
    And you can't make a graser (gamma ray laser) without gamma-ray mirrors, as far as I know.

A kugelblitz (for those unfamiliar) is a very small black hole (BH) with a lifetime of a few years, the mass of an aircraft carrier, the size of a fraction of a proton, and a power output (due to Hawking radiation) in the petawatt range. Being so small, it would likely not pose a danger of the classic sucking-everything-in kind.

One way (and possibly the easiest way) to create a kugelblitz is with very energetic (and thus very short wavelength) radiation - i.e. gamma rays. The idea is to populate a sphere's surface with inward-pointing grasers all coinciding in phase at the centre. This produces a huge energy density at the centre point. As Einstein's Equivalence Principle states, mass and energy are but two sides of the same coin, and thus a black hole would be spontaneously created, if you've done the maths right, and if you've got the physics right, and if you've done the engineering right.

As a garnish to this recipe, a dab of neutronium at the centre point may well help (if you can get it).

Once you can create a kugelblitz, you can create a BH space drive using Hawking radiation. Look for Crane & Westmoreland's paper on arXiv. I've already posted much about this, and also improved their idea many-fold by using an ensemble of BHs with staggered lifetimes.

Unpublished.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I had labored under the misapprehension, obviously, that "kugelblitz" was a name for ball lightning (cf. ChiTrib article).

Now, according to google search, it seems that the only popular meaning is the astrophysical one.

But doesn't "kugeln" mean "to roll"? So how does the astrophysical kugelblitz roll?

And what's the astrophysical equivalent of a noodle kugel?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Kugleblitz was a common nickname for kids with a round body shape(overweight) over here.
    We old fellahs gotta roll with the times ke?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAnd you can't make a graser (gamma ray laser) without gamma-ray mirrors, as far as I know.

Certainly you can. With a really small distributed feedback structure. The bigger problem is finding a lasing material.
    Well heavens to Betsy if it ain't one thing it's another darn it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It is a principle of nature usually known as "The Innate Perversity of Inanimate Objects".
    That's going to remind someone about something at high school
    Hope springs eternal
    "the existence of such a triad seems likely, but it has yet to be found"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_laser

God that's complex.
    A new theory of communication.
    https://phys.org/news/2019-05-physicists-quantization-quantum-shannon-theory.html

Num num. Fresh and juicy new ideas.
    And Oxford.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

Wow. Can we look forward to information gain? You get to hear more than what the other guy says?
    Yes. The subtext is finally exposed.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanA new theory of communication.
    https://phys.org/news/2019-05-physicists-quantization-quantum-shannon-theory.html

Num num. Fresh and juicy new ideas.
    And Oxford.

Let me know when I can buy one of those multichannel quantum modems at Newegg.
    Maybe at Qeeqegg
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2019

Using advanced technology at UChicago-affiliated Argonne National Laboratory, the team studied a class of materials in which they observed superconductivity at temperatures of about minus-23 degrees Celsius (minus-9 degrees Fahrenheit) -- a jump of about 50 degrees compared to the previous confirmed record.
    ref.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2019

Though the superconductivity happened under extremely high pressure, the result still represents a big step toward creating superconductivity at room temperature

That's a gotcha.
    Yup, those cables are a bitch.

And don't even get started on the connectors.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2019

"quasiparticle immortality imbues it with strong potential for long-lasting data storage in quantum computing systems."

I think they're rather lacking in imagination