Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanaLIGO news

That's interesting. In 2005 I started a similar magazine for the Canadian photonics consortium. Probably there are issues still on line somewhere but we used to print it too for leaving around in waiting rooms etc. It was intended to raise the profile in the eternal quest for more funding-and it actually worked.

Of course all the other national centres said we were nuts, and then copied it. I always felt that basic research is a branch of the entertainment industry and you have to get out the flashy publicity to put the results in the context of - more money please!
    I know of an experiment that has run for over 5 years without detecting any deviation from Newtonian gravitational dynamics.
    It did detect _something_ though, that happened on a semi-regular schedule and, according to the experimenters, was a signal equivalent to that which would have been produced by a great whale swimming past the lab (if it had been surrounded by water of course.)
    The signal was finally tracked down to a heavy lorry that sometimes parked across the street while the driver went into the pawn shop to pay his interest or something.
    How mysterious. Is it like LIGO?
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanHow mysterious. Is it like LIGO?

No, and it's not this either:
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0603033.pdf
    Is this 20 questions?

Lady Barnett?
    In 1980, she was found guilty of shoplifting, being fined £75 for stealing a can of tuna and a carton of cream worth 87p from her village grocer. This brought her briefly back into the public eye; just four days later, she was found dead.

--wiki
    A strange thing. I believe I remember that.
    Why the US has no realistic fusion program
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6CTWzdU19E

Crap governance and no sustaining - just short attention span dicking around for 50 years.
    Not to mention the blackbrain lobbies from coal and oil
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013

That, plus "realistic fusion" is an oxymoron (as it relates to practical power generation).
    Not so at all. Why do you believe that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013

Because that way he avoids disappointment.
    He also avoids imagining
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

It is better to have loved and bollocks.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNot so at all. Why do you believe that?
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanHe also avoids imagining

You indirectly answered your question. It takes quite a lot of imagination to make fusion a practical power source, and much much more imagination than that to make is safe and clean.
    Obviously you haven't looked at Focus Fusion
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

I have. Their fusion fantasy is as good as any.
    They have two legs of the tripod, and are so are way ahead of the field. They have the much higher temperature required for pB11 fusion, whereas the rest have trouble doing a lot less. They have a containment time that's almost a factor of 2 bigger than the minimum required. The final leg of the tripod, the plasma density, still lies a factor of about 3,000 off. That problem is being addressed with the new tungsten electrode, because fusion was being suppressed by sublimed copper and silver ions in the plasma, which basically wrecks it.

Tell me how you define fantasy in terms of their achieved temperature and achieved containment time.

Or just fess up that you're a disgruntled know-nothing misanthrope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013

korkskrew may be a bit gruntled aren't we all to some degree?

But he is not a know-nothing misanthrope.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013

I appreciate the vote of confidence Trim. I'll try to let you down easy.

As for being a misanthrope, that's arguable. I would probably agree with you there, but I don't think most of the people I know would agree.

I know there are plenty of "positive" results from plenty of research projects (some of which are kind of interesting), but if you step back and look at any of them in terms of being a practical way to generate cheap, clean, safe energy, it's still about 20 years away, as it has been for the past 50 years, and will continue to be until the funding for the research finally dries up.