Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

It's tempting to countenance a minimum mass fluctuation of about one Planck mass, but this would lead to all sorts of trouble in reality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2019

Are but we are in a simulation, so what is reality?
    Thanks for posting that link btw. Reminds me of the cultish stupidity.
    Yes, but Jim's a nice fellow and he deserves a lot of credit just for still being alive.
    For certain values of nice, you dig?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: TrimAre but we are in a simulation, so what is reality?
    If Reality is a Computer Simulation — What Happens if I Hack it?
    Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson thinks the odds are 50–50 that we are living in a computer simulation. Others think it is pretty much impossible that we aren’t.
    https://theascent.pub/if-reality-is-a-computer-simulation-what-happens-if-i-hack-it-8bfbf519716
    In 2003, Swedish philosopher Nick Bostrum proposed we may be existing in a virtual reality orchestrated by our descendants who wanted to recreate their ancestors. He suggested that if technology advanced to the point where we could create such a virtual world, we would likely create multiple copies.

If our descendants managed this feat sometime in the future, Bostrum argued, then the odds were that you and I are one of many copies living in a simulation rather than the base reality.

If Bostrum is correct, this implies we are simply reliving an earlier existence. Our lives, or at least the major milestones, are predetermined, our choices already made, and our decisions only seem to be spontaneous.
    The idea of this is hardly new.

The ancient Gnostics believed we were under the control of malevolent Archons. These beings were minions of the Demiurge, a kind of false god who stands between man and the transcendent God of the universe. Archons rule mankind through eons of devious trickery. Our souls are trapped in a kind of prison on this planet until we gain sufficient knowledge to free ourselves from the cycle of control.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2019

Maybe you didn't meet sonoboy of recent memory?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

These are not my ideas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

I remember that Plato guy here was always banging on about how we're being fooled and reality that we see is just a projection into our little cave of something ... other.

Angus probably remembers him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Damn little upstart!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: goatcheezThese are not my ideas.

Nor mine.
    Well, the irony is that even though the idea of living in a computer simulation is just silly, we actually _are_ living in our own simulations of reality, presented to our little internal homunculi by the awesome processing power of the biological brain.
    There is no "color", our brains encode wavelengths of light by simulation of color sensation. There is no "pain", our brains encode damaging and noxious stimuli by simulation of nosiceptive sensation. We don't even have a really coherent simulation of even the optical field, which is simulated by our visual field and is full of holes, illusions, mistakes and etc that are not "really" there in external reality. In fact our entire experience of reality is a simulation, but not one coming from without or that we live "in". Rather, the simulation lives within us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2019 edited

I always found it interesting that a real image (inverted) appears on the retina and, when psychologists placed eyeglasses which inverted the image, it confused the test subject only for a couple of days when the brain corrected the situation. Removal of glasses caused the same image inversion with the same time correction.

Marvelous thing, the mind...terrible thing to lose.