Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: TrimN lightweight Z-pinch and Dense plasma focus Pulsed Nuclear Fusion Propulsion Feasability Tests.

Words
    The best words
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2016

Eses dees sum kinda yolk?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016

Inv

NASA Is Sponsoring One of the Biggest Hackathons the World Has Ever Seen.

https://www.inverse.com/article/13255-nasa-is-sponsoring-one-of-the-biggest-hackathons-the-world-has-ever-seen
    If I had my 2009 energy level back, I'd do a StarTram all over that. I have all the tech data
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016 edited

@Andrew

The reason I like Medsuda is that it reminds me of an idea I had while watching the Apollo missions on TV one of the experts said something like of course parachutes will NEVER EVER BE any good on the moon, that got my dander right up so I came up with a few ideas of how they could.

One of them was using a 'beam' of plasma and electrostatic moondust that struck a cross between a shuttlecock and a parachute to slow a descending spacecraft right down so it needed much less fuel to land.

Have you got any data on mass drivers for launching stuff off the moon?

The British Bloodhound project plan to drive a vehicle on earth at over a thousand miles an hour in earth's thick atmosphere, if that proves possible and it should, than it should be relatively easier to get a WHEELED vehicle on a track on the moon to go much faster at least to orbital speed and probably escape velocity.

The track would consist of two ground ones with another track above where the wheels fitted in between to stop them jumping and bumping up, the tracks would also supply electrical power to the wheel motors.

Between the wheels a flat cargo carrier would be slung with of course cargo, once sufficient speed had been reached the cargo would be unstrapped and the carrier would slow by turning its momentum into electricity, the cargo would continue at its original speed and with the help of small rockets either go into lunar or earth orbit.

In theory with a longer track cargo could land at high speed on a fast carrier and be strapped on as the carrier slowed down again using momentum to produce electricity.

I have an idea how to avoid wear on the wheels but can't work out if a mass driver is still better???
    Posted By: TrimThe reason I like Medsuda
    You mean the thing with antimatter soap bubbles?

Ha Ha. Andrew make yolk.

Yes, the basic principle is sound of using a wide particle beam to decelerate a landing craft. But of course I'd simply use the same Moon-based beamer that will later be used for initiating an outbound trip. Though, particles do pack more wallop than light does, it must be admitted.

The wheels vs. mass driver trade-off sounds complicated. I'll leave that to the more sanguine.

But we can get a complete loop of track around the moon without bankrupting the solar system. The interesting question is: to what sort of ludicrous speed can we wind up on a track like that? Yes, I mean maglev, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Start with Ceres first would be much cheaper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Po 2011

New theory shows one-way transmission materials should be possible for sound and light waves.

http://phys.org/news/2011-05-theory-one-way-transmission-materials.html
    I think they must already exist. Ever been married?

ETA violates 2LOT I think
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Wheeled vehicles have a problem with centrifugal force at high speeds.
    Oh yes. Unless the wheels are truly massive. But then there begin to be other problems. So - using "so" in its correct sense for once - stick with contactless maglev. Sir will not be disappointed.

Now where did I put that slide rule? You can't get the help these days, you know. And another chhotah peg, boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Contactless nickel graphene wheels?

So you are saying Bloodhound can never travel over a thousand miles an hour using wheels that are touching the ground, interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Sled.

I didn't mention any number - you did. If your Bloodhound goes too fast the tyres will come off, for whatever the appropriate value of "too fast" is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AngusSled.

I didn't mention any number - you did. If your Bloodhound goes too fast the tyres will come off, for whatever the appropriate value of "too fast" is.

No tyres present.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Good. Too fast can be a bit faster then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Yep. they worry about the solid 7307 aluminium wheels 'exploding'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Should use nickel graphene ones, on the moon the wheels or wheel needn't quite touch the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimShould use nickel graphene ones, on the moon the wheels or wheel needn't quite touch the track.

Then you can just leave them off and save money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016 edited

A very fit person should be able to survive just over 11 gees on a 15 mile track.

Maybe a longer track would be better but costs more and be hader to build.

W

Mass driver.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver />

http://www.nss.org/settlement/L5news/1980-massdriver.htm
    I find the quality of this discussion feckless