Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014 edited

Posted By: AngusPerhaps all string is made in a giant loop and bits are cut off as needed. (Do not examine this statement too closely.)

Did you ever cut a Möbius band in half, lengthwise? In thirds? Very entertaining and educational experiences.

Never mind, the existing videos are all so bad that I think TK needs to make one of his own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014

So, you favour the Copenhagen interpretation of okapi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinDid you ever cut a Möbius band in half, lengthwise? In thirds?

Hasn't everybody? Mind you, I've forgotten what happens now. (The ancient brain is like that.) So I am going to try to imagine it without doing it. If I don't show up for a while please send search parties into the fourth dimension.

ETA: In half, you get a simple loop. In thirds you get a Möbius band with a 3/2 twist. Now I'll try it.
    Posted By: AngusSo, you favour the Copenhagen interpretation of okapi?

Well, it's a whole lot more palatable to me than Many Worlds of Okapi.
    Posted By: AngusMind you, I've forgotten what happens now.

The cutting in thirds one is the interesting and mysterious case, I think, and also has a bit of self-referential recursion built in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: AngusSo, you favour the Copenhagen interpretation of okapi?

Well, it's a whole lot more palatable to me than Many Worlds of Okapi.

Yes: I hadn't thought about the Everett version of the Okapi. I was thinking of the Hidden Variable Okapi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Oh Yeah. Now I remember about the Möbius bands. After doing it.

Superweird topology was never my thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Cutting in "thirds" produces another, slenderer Möbius band... as sort of expected but just one instead of three ... but this is interlocked with a double-long, double-full-twisted band.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That'swhatI found, but I had to look pretty carefully at the big one to count the twists.
    A string with one end free implies that somewhere there's another end
    • CommentAuthortinker

If you give the starting band a full turn instead of the half, you get two interlocked loops. since many people don't really notice the difference (on a biggish loop) at the start, they are very puzzled as to how you can get different results from cutting two loops they assume are identical.
    A frayed knot
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanA string with one end free implies that somewhere there's another end

Knot necessarily
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2014

Some free ends are freer than others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014

Po

Gyroscope's unexplained acceleration may be due to modified inertia.

http://phys.org/news/2011-07-gyroscope-unexplained-due-inertia.html
    Posted By: TrimGyroscope's unexplained acceleration may be due to modified inertia.
    http://phys.org/news/2011-07-gyroscope-unexplained-due-inertia.html
    Before I even read this, I'm calling Major Bollox (he's my free energy consultant, on retainer).

Tajmar never got much sigma - i.e. "signal" almost indistinguishable from noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014

This chappie Tajmar seems to have a habit of discovering strange things that nobody else can see.
    It's worse than that. When he repeated his experiment he could not see what he thought he had seen before.
    Zero peer-reviewed publications. Zero reproducibility from other labs.

Tajmar ended up publishing a recant of his theory on arXiv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014 edited

Was that a recent recant?

Because Prof. McCullogh is now lumbered with a perfectly good theory to explain something that doesn't happen.
    The comments after the article cite the arXiv # of the recant I think.