Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016

The carbon sludge in the bottom is probably from graphite packing used to hold the anodes in place. A friend of mine looks after a couple of NIFe ex submarine batteries ( at least 80 years old and used for jump-starting diesel locomotives) and he found the graphite blocks when he refurbished them. They hold 30 gallons of electrolyte each btw,
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/04/us_hits_battery_storage_holy_grail/

Dr. Williams found a cup of some sort and now proclaims it to be a holy grail? I saw nothing in the article that says that there's been a major breakthrough--just a lot of PR foo that attempts to show that she's earning her government salary.

As far as Sonoboy's defense from 2013, well, CO2 isn't graphite and getting from CO2 to the elemental form is not a simple matter. Tink has it right--structural material--used a lot because it's relatively non-reactive chemically in aqueous environments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Batteries are so dead - other than as a voltage reference. Don't these people read the interwebs?
    Yes, that "holy grail" headline is clickbait really. But I did learn something useful about Tesla's batteries.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Headlines have been clickbait since before there was clicking.
    eye candy then?
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016 edited

Mmmmm - no. At least not the candy my eye goes for.

ETA: How about "Made you look suckah!"
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/04/us_hits_battery_storage_holy_grail/
    Contains 100% capacitance gel!! :)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2020 edited

The batteries in my HP16C calculator finally gave out. They're the original 303 silver-oxide cells, purchased in 1982.

Practically speaking, is there much difference in this application between the alkaline 303/357 cells and the AgO ones? Can I get 15 years out of the alkaline ones?
    Hearty congratulations in any case!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2021

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2021

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2021

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2021

Or store hydrogen.

Combining magnesium powder with hydrogen= Powerpaste.