Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013

So, if you count the hyperloop, how many goose eggs do you tally for Elon - erm - Mr. Musk?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013 edited

Musk is just starting out with SpaceX. And it uses and builds on a lot of NASA information and talent acquired painstakingly and at huge tax payer expense over several decades. That sort of data doesn't exist for the Hyperloop project. And the eventual cost and outcome of SpaceX is still undetermined. It is not decided simply because the project manages a few trips to the space station.

Musk is extremely capable and intelligent but he is no magician.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Capable, intelligent ... and making an effort! I'll certainly give him that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugoMusk is just starting out with SpaceX. And it uses and builds on a lot of NASA information and talent acquired painstakingly and at huge tax payer expense over several decades. That sort of data doesn't exist for the Hyperloop project. And the eventual cost and outcome of SpaceX is still undetermined. It is not decided simply because the project manages a few trips to the space station.

They have a multi billion dollar order book for a proven delivery vehicle with fairly well known costs and a reducing risk profile. They might have drawn on NASA experience, but NASA didn't seem to be able to cut the cost of launchers.

I think Musk is basically trying to encourage people to "think more outside of the box" and take some risks - even (especially) with multi billion dollar projects. Hyperloop would have to overcome some huge engineering issues and will no doubt be an order of magnitude more expensive than the estimates - but so what. 200 year old railway technology manages that feat all over the world.
    I can tell you what is missing . . . a freakin' loo, that's what.
    Andrew says "Hold it in", it's only harf a nar royd.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Maybe you new and old Englanders can't hold it for a half hour, but it doesn't seem like a huge challenge to me. My bladder isn't nearly as elastic as it used to be, but still, I just don't see the big deal. I do it at least twice a day every day, on my commute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: korkskrewMaybe you new and old Englanders can't hold it for a half hour, but it doesn't seem like a huge challenge to me. My bladder isn't nearly as elastic as it used to be, but still, I just don't see the big deal. I do it at least twice a day every day, on my commute.

It's not the individuals that are the problem. Each one can individually hold his water for the required time. It is the statistical "everybody" among whom there is *always* someone ... As they say: "Some mothers do have them."
    And yet.... when someone dies of "internal injuries" in a crash or fall, the injury that kills them is often a ruptured, formerly full, urinary bladder.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokinthe injury that kills them is often a ruptured, formerly full, urinary bladder.
    Really? Where does THAT come from? Is someone confusing the bladder for the spleen? Or maybe that happened centuries ago. Nowadays, methinks that bladders are reasonably repairable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: korkskrewMaybe you new and old Englanders can't hold it for a half hour, but it doesn't seem like a huge challenge to me. My bladder isn't nearly as elastic as it used to be, but still, I just don't see the big deal. I do it at least twice a day every day, on my commute.

You don't have a toilet in your CAR? <gasp>!
    Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: alsetalokinthe injury that kills them is often a ruptured, formerly full, urinary bladder.
    Really? Where does THAT come from? Is someone confusing the bladder for the spleen? Or maybe that happened centuries ago. Nowadays, methinks that bladders are reasonably repairable.

Really. Why do you think skydivers always pee right before getting in the airplane?
    Your full urinary bladder ruptures, you die from shock! You don't get repaired unless you arrive at the repair facility still reasonably alive.
    Spleens, you just chuck them out, if you don't bleed to death first.
    Hyperloop wins over existing forms of high speed transportation in respect of:

- cheaper to build
    - travel speed (at least 3x faster)
    - cheaper fares
    - less waiting time to board
    - less environmental impact (e.g. noise, rights of way, etc.)
    - safety (e.g. independence from weather)
    - more energy-efficient
    - quicker to build

Enough for you?

Normally, we have to pick and choose and trade off such characteristics. But in this case, and assuming that the technology can be made to work, it's a slam dunk for Hyperloop by any measure.
    Posted By: TrimCN

The People's Hyperloop: Redditors rally for Musk's vision.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57598374-1/the-peoples-hyperloop-redditors-rally-for-musks-vision/

One little problem nobody seems to be addressing yet is security.

What with surgically implanted explosive for inside the tube and car or lorry bombs to damage the tube itself as it goes along roads.

Can it be made safe?
    If you thought too much that way, nothing would get built and no progress would be made. Repairing a tube isn't rocket surgery either. Cut out the old. Weld spares back in. Gawonga.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: pcstruYou don't have a toilet in your CAR? <gasp>!
    My car stops when and where I choose, you silly goose.
    Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: BigOilRepThe silliest thing is the price tag - $6.3B!! Are they planning to use Chinese migrants and build it from Lego?

The UK high speed train network estimated cost is up to £50B now, and it's sure to go over budget.

They haven't costed buying land, getting planning approval, jumping NIMBY hurdles. They haven't even costed R&D. They have simply said "if this" then estimate = $6.3B". It is silly - but possibly only if you think it is saying something else.

But then folks said you couldn't do space for SpaceX costs.
    As a matter of fact, the cost is indeed factored in. "Permits and Land" is the biggest single line item at $1B.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokinYour full urinary bladder ruptures, you die from shock!
    I don't mean to encourage a debate about spleen bladders but how does that happen? I mean, what exactly about a burst bladder induces circulatory collapse (what "shock" actually means in those terms of reference). I suppose it could bleed out but I think that takes a while. Anyways, I think if you hit hard enough to bleed out from a bladder burst, you may encounter other issues as well. Just a thought.
    Posted By: DerrickAI just remembered why I was getting these feelings of déjà vu:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw
    I gotta fever. And the only prescription is - more Hyperloop :):)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsUf_oIgp0
    Posted By: alsetalokinYour full urinary bladder ruptures, you die from shock!
    I don't mean to encourage a debate about spleen bladders but how does that happen? I mean, what exactly about a burst bladder induces circulatory collapse (what "shock" actually means in those terms of reference). I suppose it could bleed out but I think that takes a while. Anyways, I think if you hit hard enough to bleed out from a bladder burst, you may encounter other issues as well. Just a thought.

No, that is the problem. You don't need all that big an impact to rupture a full bladder! You can die with no broken bones or even a contusion, and even an improperly placed seat belt can do the deed. Don't travel with a full bladder!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: pcstruYou don't have a toilet in your CAR? <gasp>!
    My car stops when and where I choose, you silly goose.

Hell, if your bladder is that much of an issue, you probably already wear a diaper.