Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I almost died with peritonitis a while back after not eating for 5 days and then going out for pizza and lots of beer and whisky with friends. They said I had just minutes to live when I made it into emergency, baying like a wounded beast. The appendix had burst perhaps 8 hours prior. So when your body cavity is filled with poisons, you don't have long.
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe appendix had burst perhaps 8 hours prior.

Wow. Great story, I'm glad you can tell it.

But.... what in the world were you doing for eight hours? Did you think you just had a bad heartburn, or what?
    Posted By: korkskrewMaybe you new and old Englanders can't hold it for a half hour, but it doesn't seem like a huge challenge to me. My bladder isn't nearly as elastic as it used to be, but still, I just don't see the big deal. I do it at least twice a day every day, on my commute.
    If you do it on your commute, I hope you've evolved a strategy with bags and a half-turned pose for a modicum of privacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanSo when your body cavity is filled with poisons, you don't have long.
    Urine is usually sterile, your body cavity wasn't "filled with poisons", it was infected by what amounts to watery shit. That's what was in the intestine that connected to the appendix that ruptured.

Posted By: alsetalokinBut.... what in the world were you doing for eight hours? Did you think you just had a bad heartburn, or what?
    Appendix pain can be pretty vague for a long time, not localized anywhere and like a bad colic with vomiting. Some people think they have food poisoning. And then, paradoxically, when it ruptures, they get some transient relief before the resulting infection begins. It's a tricky diagnosis at times. Especially if it's a *self* diagnosis!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanHyperloop wins over existing forms of high speed transportation in respect of:

- cheaper to build
    - travel speed (at least 3x faster)
    - cheaper fares
    - less waiting time to board
    - less environmental impact (e.g. noise, rights of way, etc.)
    - safety (e.g. independence from weather)
    - more energy-efficient
    - quicker to build

Enough for you?

Normally, we have to pick and choose and trade off such characteristics. But in this case, and assuming that the technology can be made to work, it's a slam dunk for Hyperloop by any measure.

Aren't you getting a bit previous here? For my dollar Hyperloop loses to all existing forms of transportation because it doesn't exist. This is a big disadvantage in the transportation market.

It does offer some speculative advantages, yet unproven and uncosted. You list a few. All of them are questionable pending a lot of further work.

Maybe you just meant to say that you haven't yet seen a better proposal. The likelihood is that you will, and that it will either be a development from this Hyperloop thing, or something cooked up to better it.
    Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe appendix had burst perhaps 8 hours prior.

Wow. Great story, I'm glad you can tell it.

But.... what in the world were you doing for eight hours? Did you think you just had a bad heartburn, or what?
    A friend took me to get an X-ray and they saw nothing - after it had burst! I figured it was simply constipation from the starve/gorge cycle. When friends came round to drive me to ER, I was on all fours moaning
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: AngusFor my dollar Hyperloop loses to all existing forms of transportation because it doesn't exist. This is a big disadvantage in the transportation market.
    LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanA friend took me to get an X-ray and they saw nothing
    Must've been before CT. And nobody properly examined your belly and did a white count? Wow. Must've been in Kentucky or the Ozarks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

They show your X rays to your friends? Shouldn't doctors see them like they do in Europe?

I hope the Hyper loop system works but it needs to be costed properly and that alas in today's day and age includes the cost of security.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugoAppendix pain can be pretty vague for a long time, not localized anywhere and like a bad colic with vomiting.

I had a similar experience to Andrew's. I would say that the onset of appendix pain is approximately like trying to digest a bottlecap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Why do you digest bottlecaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013

Actually I haven't. It is an imagined simile. That's "s-i-m-i-l-e", not "smile".
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I thought it might have something to do with your Scottish heritage, iron brew and all that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

My dentist won't let me open bottles with my teeth any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: AngusMy dentist won't let me open bottles with my teeth any more.
    I can see why: That is just not the right way to uncork a bottle ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

You have some teeth left, still? At you age, that must be a record.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013 edited

Now you are scaring me. Appendix, sure, all you need is a spoon sharpened against the concrete and some old rags to soak up the drippings. But teeth.... doing a selfie on an impacted, broken off molar is something altogether different. Improvised shaped charges made from Vestas and chewing gum wrappers, maybe?
    Thus spake The World's Most Dangerous Dentist
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013 edited

Posted By: alsetalokin . . . Appendix, sure, all you need is a spoon sharpened against the concrete and some old rags to soak up the drippings. . . .
    We do that here, too. But we pour a bit of bourbon on the sharpened spoon first to sterilize it.

Nothing expensive, of course.