Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I'm compiling a file of Hyperloop critiques which I take seriously. I would not say that I have seen any absolute showstoppers as yet. Some substantive discussion can occur here
    http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/loopy-ideas-are-fine-if-youre-an-entrepreneur
    How about this one: the whole idea is fucking nuts, and the only people who would possibly consider riding on it are also fucking nuts. Without even a washer to take the strain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013

We need the numbers on that.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013 edited

Take whatever ridership numbers are projected, and subtract me.

(And I love trains and subways!)
    And here's why: Trains move at the proper speed through interesting countryside. They don't arrive too soon, and you can move about within them, and the food is generally awesome, in my experience, if from a quite limited menu. Amtrak certainly has some problems but they have some great cooks.
    And subways stop at lots of interesting places. You can get a day pass and ride and ride, and in a real city like Toronto you can essentially travel the world, surfacing first in Greece, then diving back in for a ten minute journey to Lebanon, then down and up and you're in Korea, next Ukraine.... it's a blast and you don't even need a passport.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

There is a lot to be said for imposing temporal taxes on all kinds of travel. If people and information took a lot longer to get from A to B, there might be a more ...equitable emphasis on quality.

I could become a spacetime snob.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It is said, though I can't find an attribution to him, that the Duke of Wellington disapproved of trains on the grounds that they encouraged the lower classes to move about.
    What a great quote. It fits in with the dictum that persons of inferior station should know their place. Sort of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanWhat a great quote. It fits in with the dictum that persons of inferior station should know their place. Sort of.

Indeed they should, both socially and geographically. In particular it is much easier to tax people if you know where they are. I suspect that this, not terrorist threats, is at the root of the recent War on Travelling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

They will only cause the lower classes to move about needlessly.
    -- The Duke of Wellington, on early steam railroads.

Reference

Best I could do for a reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Even today, there are not that many legitimate business reasons to go to either San Fran or LA now that teleconferencing and other electronic communication and work-information-sharing is so established. Most of those who do are tourists. They would probably go by car even if a 30 minute train were available. In 20 years there will virtually NO business reasons to make the trip with rare exceptions. Everything else will be doable with some super-hi-res Skype-like facility. And robots you control yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: maryyugoEven today, there are not that many legitimate business reasons to go to either San Fran or LA now that teleconferencing and other electronic communication and work-information-sharing is so established. Most of those who do are tourists. They would probably go by car even if a 30 minute train were available. In 20 years there will virtually NO business reasons to make the trip with rare exceptions. Everything else will be doable with some super-hi-res Skype-like facility. And robots you THAT control yourself.
    FTFY.
    Posted By: Angus
    They will only cause the lower classes to move about needlessly.
    -- The Duke of Wellington, on early steam railroads.

Reference

Best I could do for a reference.
    Well done. It (1 May 1769 – 14 September 1852) seems like a world away.
    Here's a comment I liked about Hyperloop

There is virtually continuous boarding for hyperloop, very different from airport boarding. So the continuous security wait line can be optimized easily. For pre-clearance, one small bag passenger (they will be high percentage), it will take roughly 2~4minutes security check. Visualize this, 50 lines of security check lines can easily help 56 mostly pre-clearance passengers through per minute without much wait. Pods do not need high price driver and attendants.

For continuous boarding of hyperloop, there is no extra budget/wait time due to concern of missing the train schedule. Hyperloop actually is faster than HSR in this regard.

Another way to look at it is that time = 2 local commute + 45minute hyperloop, compared to 2 slightly shorter local commute + 2:45 minute CAHSR. You really can do 1 day round trip with hyperloop without too much fatigue, reducing the huge cost and inconvenience of arranging places to sleep at both ends. No place is better than home.

The spontaneous nature of hyperloop traveling are what people are willing to pay for it, though they pay less for it ;-) It is just marvelous.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013 edited

Sure. Just like escalators in a big building, carrying continuous streams of people up and down huge stories. So cheap it's free, so fast it's better than waiting for the elevator, so easy you just stand there.

Until somebody trips and falls.
    Hyperloop update

With regards to energy use and aerodynamics. A stimulation firm has now run tests on the capsule/pod:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57602897-76/simulation-verdict-elon-musks-hyperloop-needs-tweaking/

The cost of building pylons could possibly be slashed by pre-fabricating them in China and shipping them to wherever the Hyperloop is to be built. A bridge in San Francisco was partially built in China to cut costs. It cost $6 billion for a couple of kilometers. It’s the Big Dig of the West, only above ground.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/business/global/26bridge.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

Is it legal to run a stimulation firm these days?
    Talk about a Freudian trip....