Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016

Jolly good. Thus you have your space weapon. Kneel or fry, white Devils!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

As long as you're not in a hurry. The micronewtons of force will accelerate your ultralight weapon to significant velocities in mere ├Žons, so if that's fast enough for the tactical situation, you're rosy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Is it possible for a solar wind powered spaceship to travel faster than the wind up a gravity well ???? ( or something.... )
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

No. To do that you need a purchase on something - wheels, a keel, whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Reality?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Let me know when the Loonyman Reality Technology Drive is ready and I'll consider investing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Possibly about 2 hours and 3 glasses of wine after the Loonykids are asleep...
    ( in my head anyway!!!)

On a total tangent.... Loonyboy, who is now 10 years old would be disappointed if I didn't pull him into the design chain... He has more skeptical chops than I had until I was in my late 20's! I like to think that I have given the lad a good ground education in bullshit detection, skepticism and rational thinking... But bugger me, his knowledge absorbsion rate is scary, and having constant access to the Internet to answer ( or give him grounds to debate Daddys answers ) is creating something both wonderful and scary at the same time!!!
    ( that said, he has trouble getting his clothing on the right way round... But I feel that is a small price to pay..)
    It kinda feels like watching evolution....
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: Terry Lingleseems simple to me you just put a light sail on it and sail directly into the solar "wind"
    Sailing into the wind? Into what will you dip your keel and rudder?

Mere engineering Angus make them large enough and space will work just like the ocean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Posted By: Terry Lingle
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: Terry Lingleseems simple to me you just put a light sail on it and sail directly into the solar "wind"
    Sailing into the wind? Into what will you dip your keel and rudder?

Mere engineering Angus make them large enough and space will work just like the ocean.

Or dense enough.... But I can imagine a few navigational problems if your rudder is massive enough to plow a wake through space/time.....
    for sure :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

Posted By: br
    Posted By: loremanI know they're talking torque, it's interesting that there's no average decrease, that's all. In the "radiometer" scenario, can the torque be used to counter the radiation pressure?
    No, for exactly the same reason that angular momentum can't produce linear momentum.
    https://youtu.be/fbUmddgaBHU
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

But I suppose it would work...
    Posted By: Terry LingleMere engineering Angus
    Andrew, actually.
    Sorry Andrew I was contemplating an earlier Angus post
    • CommentAuthorBad Angus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016

NINE
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

That's not a black hole. That's a simulation of a black hole. Or if sonoboy's right, a simulation of a simulation of a black hole.
    The map is not the territory. But the territory is "really" a map!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016

Po

ASKAP test finds "monster" black hole.

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-askap-monster-black-hole.html
    And there are even bigger ones