Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjohnq
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2021

Impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2021

Why the NEW Tesla Robot will help end world poverty - YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiNnjtgihs
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2021

Howso? Technological innovation tends to disproportionately benefit the wealthy. The guy in the field harvesting artichokes will hardly benefit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well sure - he can relax in the shade while the robot picks the artichokes. He will have lots of extra time to think about where his next meal is coming from.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Yes, just think of all the leisure time available to the unemployed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Does anybody know if you can live on artichokes?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I think it would be extremely painful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2021

I am contemplating cobbling together a remote controlled (eventually autonomous?) wagon to take my garbage pails down to the street. Anybody got any useful tips?

The situation is that our new garbage trucks have a sort of claw that lifts the pails up, dumps them into the truck, and puts them back in the same place - no humans to mess up. So presumably the pail would be put back on a wagon if I left the pails on one. That leads to the thought of taking them down to the street on such a wagon rather than rolling them down myself, and bringing them back the same way. All from the comfort of my armchair.

I figure the pails might weigh up to 50 kg. The driveway is sloped down about 10 degrees and is maybe 50m long. I figure the wagon should be 1.5 m long to accept two pails, and no more than about 3 inches high at the platform part.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Since it's only a once-a-week chore, I'd hire a kid to do it for a minimal payment. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Very true, but less engaging. Also conflicts with a basic aspiration of around here. No kids.

However the demographics are shifting and some anklebiters can be seen around the place from time to time. I fear they will eventually turn into teenagers.

But it is good advice before spending money or any significant thought.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2021 edited

I look at it as giving our filthy lucre to the young generation instead of our corporate overlords.
    Just make sure that the claw does not try to toss your robo-waggon into the hopper too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Suppose I bolt it to the bottom of the pail. Since it is then part of the garbage pail, it cannot be thrown away. This is a noted feature of garbage pails.
    Then Sod's Law tells us that the robot will fail to identify the pails as pails.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Your disposal service will then replace your pails with wheeled carts, like those of my hauler. Necessitating a redesign.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Those are the pails I'm using (but metric of course)..
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2021

Technically, who owns the pail? In my area, it's the hauler. Yours may not take kindly to modifying theirs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2021

The pails belong to the Regional Municipality of Nanaimo. Indeed they may not approve unless I can demonstrate that the mod is reversible. Double-sided tape?

They also may not like me messing with the centre of gravity. But it's all just engineering, right?