Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2021

Is your driveway above street level or below? If above, there's always gravity to work in your favor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes - unless I need the complication of braking
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Sounds barmy.

You might look at motors/controllers for mobility buggies etc. I'd build something that hugs the bin so it can move it and detach rather than be taken along for the ride when the bin is emptied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes - a sort of tractor had occurred to me too, without presenting itself as an actual plan of attack. Barmy? Of course it is. So was landing a stainless steel rocket on its arse. You've got to think barmy if your goal is to be the richest jerk in the world. This is my ticket. Every old geezer in the place will want one.

Maybe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

those trash bin claws don't always land the bins where they pick them up around here. they sometimes wind up on their sides.

i'd be careful trying to mod the bin itself. the owners might object.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

What johnq just said. The driver can steer the claw to grab the bucket, but always drops the bucket in the same spot relative to the truck rather than relative to where it was picked up. Your robot would have to be quick and adjust to the correct landing position as the bucket was coming down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Here the buckets have been coming down apparently where they were picked up since the service started six months ago. However just the other day I discovered them all over the street. I assume that the drivers have begun to hot rod around the place, picking them up on the fly.

It will mean that my AI needs to find the pail and right it first. It's just engineering.
    The world is poised to beat a path to your.. driveway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Jeffie and St Elon better beware!
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Also, around here they want the carts a foot or two away from each other. One truck picks up one bin, and another truck the other. Trash and, on alternating weeks, either recycling or "compostables". Your AI is going to have to separate the bins when it gets down the driveway. But I'm confident it's your ticket to great wealth.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

We had those in the 90's over here. Didn't work out and now we're back to normal trash bins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Are you calling Angus idea, trash?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I was going to use a long flatbed wagon so that the cans can be appropriately separate.

@aber0der - what was it that didn't work out? They seem to be very efficient if properly used. Of course we know the German reputation for indiscipline and rebellion, so perhaps they were not given a fair trial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

there are two types of bin lifters, the claw as described and a hook that grabs the aluminum bar or indent in the front after being positioned by a human. the later with human assist will ultimately damage the bin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The bins have a bar but the trucks use a claw..
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

yes, the bar lift required two humans and a truck. the claw eliminated one human.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2021 edited

Posted By: AngusI was going to use a long flatbed wagon so that the cans can be appropriately separate.

@aber0der - what was it that didn't work out? They seem to be very efficient if properly used. Of course we know the German reputation for indiscipline and rebellion, so perhaps they were not given a fair trial.

AFAIK the company that tried that went bankrupt.
    Seems low wage workers are faster and cheaper, flexible, efficient.

They tried it over 5 years, I think. Then they replaced all the bins again.

Fun Fact: I worked as garbage person* for 3 months in my 20's, but at that time it was a state owned public utility.

*In retrospect i did a lot of interesting things during my 'career'.
    I've lived in this San Jose house for over 20 years under the same garbage disposal system, which works just fine. It's a robot lifting system build into the trucks for the bins - recyclables different to ordinary garbage. It is human operated, but I expect it will become autonomous in due time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2021

Posted By: aber0dera state owned public utility

You mean Germany privatised garbage? Are we the only civilised place left?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2021

Posted By: johnqyes, the bar lift required two humans and a truck. the claw eliminated one human.

A bit extreme but a way to get illegal immigrant numbers down.