Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: alsetalokinoops.

What's all the fuss about? Any objective person of whatever race would agree that the closest facial phenotype to a gorilla is to be found among Africans with very dark skin.
    *shrug*
    Moment to moment we populate our consciousness with hypothetical scenarios, most of which we immediately reject.
    What is perhaps interesting is the scope of this bizarrity which we briefly entertain.
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: alsetalokinoops.

What's all the fuss about? Any objective person of whatever race would agree that the closest facial phenotype to a gorilla is to be found among Africans with very dark skin.
    *shrug*

Objectivity is not politically correct.
    Like I give a flying fuck (and neither should you)
    From the Deutsch article:
    The program can only prove that the sacrifice does not force a checkmate, and cannot write a book because it has no clue even what the objective of a chess game is. Programming AGI is not the same sort of problem as programming Jeopardy or chess.

I have a visceral appreciation of this dating back to the seventies when I threw myself into AI (to return later I should mention). I could see the problem was that the machine didn't understand what it was doing, and unless and until I found a way to instill this awareness, I felt stuck.
    I heartily recommend the Deutsch article. It picks up the subject and slowly turns its multiple facets, exposing them in turn to the multiple ways we have reacted and interpreted the idea of an AGI. It's at least a wonderful primer on the history of the endeavour.
    It is more probable than not that, within the twentieth century, an ultraintelligent machine will be built and that it will be the last invention that man need make. Good has captured the essence of the runaway, but does not pursue its most disturbing consequences. Any intelligent machine of the sort he describes would not be humankind's "tool" -- any more than humans are the tools of rabbits or robins or chimpanzees.

Bollocks
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015

Which is why I prefer Roo-bots to robots, they already have real evolved pain pleasure centres that can be invoked to our benefit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wp3IIpssEc

Very recent chat with Da Man. Relevant to the above of course
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015 edited

If you liked Anna Maria's interview write an irate letter to Harpogov about their trashing of the CBC. This is a public movement trying to stop the depredations of the government which has an ideological thing against public broadcasting. I have just joined and actually given them real money belonging to me.

The Harpogov just cut the funding to 25% of what public broadcasters like BBC get per capita, fired most of the creative people, staffed the Board of Governors with appointed hacks having no broadcast experience and released a report saying CBC should stop producing documentaries and concentrate on local news and amateur sport.

Aaaaaargh!!! They have even been forced recently to take advertising on one of the radio programmes and rent out the studios for parties.
    • CommentAuthortinker

The dirtbags currently running Westminster (I refuse to call it a government) have the BBC in their sights too. I think it is a question of paying back Rupert Murdoch's newspapers and Sky/Fox TV for propagandising for them in the last election.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The rot is setting in everywhere now. Politics is all about cadging enough money from somebody to advertise your way into power, bully everybody on behalf of your backers, and then collect a fat pension.

Ban corporate support of political parties totally. Forbid anybody to run for election unless he can show ten years experience at real work. Drop fixed election dates.

And make sure Parliament has one chamber that is appointed, not elected. Chosen at random from the general population would be fine by me.
    • CommentAuthortinker

It's lobbyists - all the way down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I'll buy that . . . no, wait...!
    Regression to the mean
    Hinton got paid $500 million for his Deep Learning company by Google
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

And make sure Parliament has one chamber that is appointed, not elected. Chosen at random from the general population would be fine by me.

At last a convert to one of my ideas and to encourage the general population randomly selected to do the dirty deed give them a few millions as lottery winnings, which the plebs left, who are on the receiving end of their 'service' can vote on how much of their winnings they can actually collect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

He said *people* not roo-bots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

He said "general population" so if my Roo-bots take over then well.