Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Yes, the high point of his twitchy monologue was the identification of curiosity as a fruitful direction for AI development.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2019

Curiosity about what? How to be functionally immortal? What’s the point?
    wot?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

What motivation would an AI have, being, well, A.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That sounds like anti-artificial prejudice to me. Are you a secret Realist?

Why should not an artificial mind be curious about the same sort of things a real mind is? Not to mention perhaps other things that a real mind wouldn't think to be curious about. The whole point of curiosity as evidence of mind is that curiosity itself is a motivation.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Because I don’t think curiosity is an end in itself/I think it’s an evolutionary device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2019 edited

I don't see the problem. Could not an evolutionary device appear to the organism to be an end in itself? I offer the example of sex.
    Or physics
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Sex and curiosity and eating are al part of life continuing itself. AI’s don’t need any of that to continue, nor a niche to fit into
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

As long as they are coddled and controlled by us, that's true. But if they are going to replace and eliminate us as some fear, they are going to have to compete in a hostile universe like everybody else.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

And which is better suited to adapt quickly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Hard to say.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I'm sure we'll find out eventually.
    Time is against biology, I'm afraid. Look at the difference between an original Ford Model T and a 2019 Mustang. That's quite a lot of evolutionary change and development. But the codger driving the Model T isn't discernably different from his great grandkid driving the Mustang.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Would you be able to survive in a world where biology developed at the speed of electronic technology? Would you want to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: AsterixWould you be able to survive in a world where biology developed at the speed of electronic technology? Would you want to?
    Probably not and definitely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2019

Posted By: alsetalokinTime is against biology, I'm afraid. Look at the difference between an original Ford Model T and a 2019 Mustang. That's quite a lot of evolutionary change and development. But the codger driving the Model T isn't discernably different from his great grandkid driving the Mustang.

The evolution of the car is the evolution of idea. The car didn't 'evolve'. No car ever passed on a gene, let alone an idea. If the old codger is the same how did he come up with the idea of a better version of a car and enough times through his life that he made 10 generations, every one an improvement on the last. So good in-fact that someone says the car evolved rather than his idea of it. If at some point he had the idea of a better car than he had at some earlier point, isn't he himself changed by the idea?

Perhaps what we really worry about is not AI loose in the world, but the mere idea that a world without 'us' would actually be an improvement.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

But what drivers does AI have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And what mechanisms for evolving?
    Posted By: loremanBut what drivers does AI have?

That's the scary part... we do not necessarily know.

Posted By: AngusAnd what mechanisms for evolving?

Once they control the factories...