Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2020

Bloviator: OpenAI’s language generator has no idea what it’s talking about

"Is GPT-3 an important step toward artificial general intelligence—the kind that would allow a machine to reason broadly in a manner similar to humans without having to train for every specific task it encounters? OpenAI’s technical paper is fairly reserved on this larger question, but to many, the sheer fluency of the system feels as though it might be a significant advance."

"We doubt it. At first glance, GPT-3 seems to have an impressive ability to produce human-like text. And we don't doubt that it can used to produce entertaining surrealist fiction; other commercial applications may emerge as well. But accuracy is not its strong point. If you dig deeper, you discover that something’s amiss: although its output is grammatical, and even impressively idiomatic, its comprehension of the world is often seriously off, which means you can never really trust what it says."

"Before proceeding, it’s also worth noting that OpenAI has thus far not allowed us research access to GPT-3, despite both the company’s name and the nonprofit status of its oversight organization. Instead, OpenAI put us off indefinitely despite repeated requests—even as it made access widely available to the media. Fortunately, our colleague Douglas Summers-Stay, who had access, generously offered to run the experiments for us."

Just more Musk hype then?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2020

Wake me up when deep-code is a thing.
    I personally experienced the problem in my first attempt to create an intelligent system (1974 ish). The realisation hit me like a ton of bricks. It's all well and good to create a machine with a decent strategy in this or that domain, but it's quite another thing for the machine to realise that it is a machine being taught to learn strategies in a domain. It's a prodigious leap to any sort of awareness.

Anyone who's practised meditation knows how hard this is.
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-close-are-computers-to-automating-mathematical-reasoning-20200827/

A proof is strange, though. It’s abstract and untethered to material experience. “They’re this crazy contact between an imaginary, nonphysical world and biologically evolved creatures,” said the cognitive scientist Simon DeDeo of Carnegie Mellon University, who studies mathematical certainty by analyzing the structure of proofs. “We did not evolve to do this.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2020

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman“We did not evolve to do this.”

No. It's a spandrel.
    Posted By: pcstruJust more Musk hype then?
    My understanding is that Musk has been hands-off with OpenAI for some years now.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2020 edited

Can this https://youtu.be/LJ25-U3jNWM?list=RDLJ25-U3jNWM be upscaled to 4k?

Would like to see and have digital idiot savants having a have at that.
    Those fuckers still live there.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2020

As Andrew always says... 'It is what is is.'
    Does the Pope shit in the woods?
    Is a bear Catholic?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Genau.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Is is not what is is. That is only an illusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Illicit illusions, even
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Extrapolation is everything.
    Except mustard. Hold the mustard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2020

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNo more coders?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te5rOTcE4J4

So all we need to do is ask it to code a better version of itself. Easy!
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2020

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNo more coders?

Again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2020

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2020

Work me up when your AI can do my laundry, wash my dishes and guess my wishes. (worst of moletrap application)