Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

My memory must be going. Thanks. We didn't come up with anything too brilliant, I see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanMy memory must be going. Thanks. We didn't come up with anything too brilliant, I see.

Which is exactly why I have no faith in any cost estimates. And here we are back at the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014

Why must the hyperloop be supersonic, 500 to 600 m.p.h. would still get you there a lot quicker?

If it must be faster, then having a few capsules dedicated to batteries and supercooled salt water as well as having black tube walls (metamaterial) may help with the heating problem by radiation.

The dedicated capsules can be swopped for recharged ones after each trip.

I am not sure if a wheeled version would add to the heat or help to conduct it away?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimIf it must be faster, then having a few capsules dedicated to batteries and supercooled salt water as well as having black tube walls (metamaterial) may help with the heating problem by radiation.

That was more or less the original plan. The objection was in having to carry along and swap out a ton of boiling water along with the batteries whenever it stopped. It would be hard to get it settle at a comfortable temperature even with radiant cooling, I think.

Anyway the thing is a serious unknown, one of quite a few.
    It'll cost a lot more than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: magic momentIt'll cost a lot more thanthis.

Oh - don't get Andrew all upset!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

If it was subsonic the amount of air in the tube could be increased as one wouldn't have to worry so much about shock waves, it might even be possible to operate it at standard air pressure so that the cost of creating the vacuum would be unnecessary and it would be able to use convention for cooling as well.

There must be some reason for the vacuum as it makes it so difficult and costly.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I can't see most ordinary folks willing to travel in a small and mostly untested vacuum tube way underground. Not for a very long time with proven safety would they have mass ridership. IMHO of course. Yeah, I know people ride airplanes and use the Chunnel but it's not the same thing as being crammed into a tiny vacuum tube and being pushed along at multiples of the speed of sound!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: magic momentIt'll cost a lot more thanthis.

Oh - don't get Andrew all upset!
    That's gonna get me upset. California can't afford this any more than they can justify a moon station.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Multiples of the speed of sound?

I wonder what the costing for a cargo version is?

If it is economical then a few years of safe cargo carrying and people would flock, the downside is that you couldn't join the mile high club.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimThere must be some reason for the vacuum as it makes it so difficult and costly.

Of course there is, and it was well explained in the original material posted by Musk. Basically you can't move the air from the front to the back of the train fast enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

So move it from the back to the front by using giant fans to help blow the HL along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugoI can't see most ordinary folks willing to travel in a small and mostly untested vacuum tube way underground. Not for a very long time with proven safety would they have mass ridership. IMHO of course. Yeah, I know people ride airplanes and use the Chunnel but it's not the same thing as being crammed into a tiny vacuum tube and being pushed along at multiples of the speed of sound!

I always thing the London underground at rush hour is a good example of just what people are prepared to put up with - when push comes to shove. I think rats would rebel at less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Depends who you are pushed up against, or is pushed against you.

Try not to get erections.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014 edited

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: TrimIf it is economical then a few years of safe cargo carrying and people would flock, the downside is that you couldn't join the mile high club.
    Good idea, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: alsetalokinOnegaishimasu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfVl6_R7_k
    OMFG!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Famous. But I often wonder how the guy in the middle gets out at his stop.
    Flamethrower
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Oriental cunning.