Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: alsetalokinOnegaishimasu!
    That's an interesting construction. I will use the ever-so-'umble form tomorrow night to ingratiate myself with a friend's Japanese wife.
    O (polite)
    negai (I pray)
    ita (humbleness prefix)
    shimasu (to do)
    Re. the hyperloop heat issue - the heat energy goes as the velocity squared, so one gets a big bang for the buck by going somewhat more slowly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014

I wonder how fast air could be blown through a horizontal tube pushing a capsule along or indeed water as the speed of sound is a lot faster in water?
    Water won't work, I bet. I'll defer to y'all for why. Air won't get you the speed. So no and no.
    From a correspondent:

Solving the Kantrowitz limit was by far the most challenging. Without solving it first high speed tube travel was not just hard but simply impossible.

As for swapping out the heat storage, I think that is pretty trivial considering that they will also swap out the battery at each terminal and replace it with a charged one. Plus, the baggage compartment gets swapped out too so the capsule is not delayed while passengers get their baggage. The turnaround time at each terminal is only 5 minutes. Keep in mind that these capsules are traveling only 30 seconds apart during peak time, so we can assume all of this swapping will be pretty much robotics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014

I have already mention about swapping the battery and super cold saltwater capsules.

Wheeled vehicles have already exceeded the speed of sound so in theory a heat conduct wheels could help conduct heat away to the top sides and even bottom of a HL craft.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014 edited

The hyper loop vehicle is supposed to be subsonic even at the low pressures in the tube I understand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Nobody has answered my question about the conductance of specially designed wheels or even tracks, would they create more heat then they could get rid of?
    A black body radiator can't be beaten, even with fancy schemes with lasers and suchlike, because of inefficiencies. So if you can't radiate it, best to store and carry it. Or a bit of both, maybe.

@Trim
    Direct heat conduction might help a bit. It would require simulation because it's a complex interplay of pros and cons. Drag figures in.
    You make the vehicle itself out of ice. It melts and ablates along the way, draining out holes in the bottom of the tube, watering oases of datepalms and tangerine trees beneath the arching tubeway. By the time the vehicle reaches the end terminus, the vehicle is totally melted away, the final fragments depositing the slightly sodden traveller on the platform and vanishing down the drains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimNobody has answered my question about the conductance of specially designed wheels or even tracks, would they create more heat then they could get rid of?

I volunteer. Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Angus

Thanks, after you have pulled up all the weeds in my garden and dug it over can you then plant the potatoes?

You don't get many Samaritans nowadays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

My volunteer day was yesterday. Sorry.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: alsetalokinOnegaishimasu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfVl6_R7_k
    OMFG!
    It took three men. but they packed em all in there! :D
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAs for swapping out the heat storage, I think that is pretty trivial considering that they will also swap out the battery at each terminal and replace it with a charged one.

None of it sounds anything like "pretty trivial".

Has anyone computer modelled this shit yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The key to this will be to remove the power plant from the vehicle. That eliminates heating and battery swapping. Since it will glide pretty well on the low pressure air sled it just needs a good push at the start. You could raise the pressure behind it to begin and use all the power to pump out the gas that enters the tunnel as the vehicle moves forward. It would be relatively easy to raise the pressure, say with a cordite charge...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

A small atomic bomb would make it go faster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yeah, but radioactive pump exhaust.
    Well, that's quite a trivial little problem. Passengers will simply wear radiation suits
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Oh the passengers are safe. It's the subdivisions along the route where the pump outlets are...