Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

So...the only significant difference is the environmental impact. But to make an airplane fly you just have to churn air. If the same amount of money were put into emissionless aircraft, what then?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017

Posted By: Angusemissionless aircraf

Unpowered balloon?

Even birds poop when they're flying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

All you need is a heat engine. Nuclear turbojet? Solar-electric eggbeater? Battery powered anything you like? All we need to do is increase the efficiency of batteries, reduce the horror about nuclear waste, or realign the expectations of the travellers. Which latter the Hyperloop is certainly going to have to do as well.
    Posted By: Angus...reduce the horror about nuclear waste...
    Any suggestions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

How about the continued increase in electrical rates as more and more renewables are brought on line?
    I don't think so. I guess we'll see.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Thinking back on the original hyperloop proposal, the propulsion power source was always intended to be external; the car was always intended to be a coaster. The on-board power source was for the air bearing compressor. That's not an issue when using mag-lev, and since the permanent magnets are on the car, all of the heat dissipation is done by the rails.

I think maybe part of thought process for the compressor was to deal with some of the supersonic shockwave pressure. The mag-lev version will have to deal with that shock wave in another way. Also, that shockwave will produce some heating. I don't know if it will be so much as will have to be dealt with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I understood that the compressor was needed to transfer pressure from the front to the back so as not to be having a giant syringe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: duncan torusI don't think so. I guess we'll see.

Indeed. It has been a disappointment to see that happening. The nuclear/renewables fight is ongoing in Ontario now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

It'll all come down to cost eventually, and by that I mean the cost to the traveller, not the cost of implementing the hyperloop itself. We here in the UK had a similar situation not so many years ago when the Channel Tunnel opened. I don't know how much it cost to build, and it's an irrelevance in any event, because what made it initially successful was the fact that it was advertised as reducing both the time and cost of travelling to the continent. It was a completely new experience and many people, myself included, fell for the marketing and used it extensively over the first few years of its life. During those halcyon days, the ferry companies had a miserable time, some didn't survive, and it's certain that those that did manage to weather the storm went through some dire financial hardship. Eventually though, people came to realise that you still have to queue for the train and the facilities at the terminal are either non-existent or so expensive as to be prohibitive. Over time, the situation has somewhat reversed itself. It's now MUCH cheaper to take a car by ferry to the continent on certain routes, and depending on your final destination, you can actually SAVE time by using the slower service. I predict the same outcome for Hyperloop - a wave of excitement when it's first opened, followed in short order by a return to the status quo UNLESS they run them every 5 minutes at a cost that's miniscule compared to the cost of a flight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yup.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: aber0derHyperloo has addressed MYs concerns with this new car design:
    I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: AngusAll you need is a heat engine. Nuclear turbojet?
    May not crash too well.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

Posted By: Growler. I predict the same outcome for Hyperloop - a wave of excitement when it's first opened, followed in short order by a return to the status quo UNLESS they run them every 5 minutes at a cost that's miniscule compared to the cost of a flight.
    Not to mention that there may be quite a bit of passenger resistance to get into an impenetrable coffin that pushes you through a vacuum tube at near the speed of sound.

Maybe there will be a market for survival gear to take with you -- compressed oxygen, a bright flashlight and a powerful very hot torch to exit the "car" if needed. Even then, you could end up in a vacuum tube, under a mile of dirt or water, with the next station dozens if not hundreds of miles away. Nice idea to visualize and meditate upon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: AngusAll you need is a heat engine. Nuclear turbojet?
    May not crash too well.

What does? Nuclear reactors have been flown in the past. I imagine with modern materials and techniques you could crashproof one.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited

Posted By: AngusWhat does? Nuclear reactors have been flown in the past. I imagine with modern materials and techniques you could crashproof one.
    Oh sure. But not without a lot of weight. What works for a 747 or a B52 or aan aircraft carrier may not be such a swift solution in a 700 mph light pod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017

No - but why would that be a consideration?
    Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: aber0derHyperloo has addressed MYs concerns with this new car design:
    I like it!

Hyperpoop?
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017

HyperPoopTube?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017

Get Ready. Richard Branson is Investing in a Hyperloop.

https://futurism.com/get-ready-richard-branson-is-investing-in-a-hyperloop/