Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2019

Magnetic freight delivery concept could slash road congestion.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/magnetic-freight-delivery-system/
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2019

WTF, ALDI?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Pretty usual. What's surprising?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: AngusWhat's surprising?

IDK. I was surprized because I thought those things are far more expensive.
    Also, too, I thought that local law restricts people under 18 to fly those things. (I'm probably wrong)
    And thirdly, I feel that the mass deployment of those things will not improve anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That one is basically a toy. Short range, short duration, controlled by cellphone over WiFi link. No capacity for lifting anything but itself. Main claim to fame is that you can apply opposing thrusts suddenly and flip it over, then watch it right itself. Whoop-de-do.

I started fooling with drones by rebuilding things like this costing about the same price five years ago, so it's not really anything strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Maybe my ignorance was the most surprising facet.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2019 edited

Posted By: TrimMagnetic freight delivery concept could slash road congestion.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/magnetic-freight-delivery-system/

That's silly. The right way to do it is intercity ballistic package delivery (ICBP, tm TKLabs Gunnery Division). Place your order by text message to your local firebase, and within minutes the battery personnel load your order into the trusty 155mm PackBoost howitzer and a few seconds later your turkey dinner with all the trimmings floats gently down into your backyard under parachute.
    Posted By: aber0derMaybe my ignorance was the most surprising facet.

Sophisticated cheap electronic autopilots have taken all the skill out of flying model rotorcraft. Or maybe made the fun available much more widely. It is ridiculous the amount of skill and practice it takes to learn to hover a conventional RC helicopter without autopilot, much less fly it around in a useful manner or do tricks. But anybody can take one of those modern and inexpensive quad or hex rotor drones out of the box and start actually flying it as soon as the battery is charged. It's maddening and exciting at the same time.

Watch out for ceiling fans though; the autopilot programming can't quite cope with being sucked up from above.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

There are actually three companies pursuing the technology; the one in the referenced article, Hyperloop One (a Virgin company) and, of course, Musk, who has announced that his will be compatible with Branson's. A good friend has just accepted a position with H-1 in LA. I offered him my 6 person tent for temporary shelter. :)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

So how many publicly-usable Hyperloop installations are there now? More than zero?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Not a single human has been transported by any Hyperloop system.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

So time to buy stock?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

I don't think you can. Here's a better investment (relatively speaking).
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2019 edited

I tried to read through the prospectus but it kept slipping out of my grip because it was soaked with woo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

+2