Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2015 edited

Posted By: maryyugo
    Posted By: DuracellHow many miles per gallon do you get?
    Ha. Meant to include it. Supercharged Belchfire was about 18 mpg highway and 14 mpg city. A heavy foot would make it worse. New VVT Belchfire is 26 highway and 18 city. I rented a Prius and got 45 mpg city with no effort. Highway we don't know for sure but more like 40. All are miles per gallon, using the built in mileage computer. It's been many years since I measured mileage from the odometer reading and replacing fuel to full.

Crikey! That's pretty poor. No wonder you USAns need to go such lengths to secure access to oil ...

My diesel E350 CDI manages 50 mpg highway and 38 mpg city (= UK 60 mpg motorway and 46 mpg city = EU 6.1 litres per 100 Kms urban and 4.7 litres per 100 Km extra-urban) while delivering 258 bhp, going from 0 to 62 mph in 6.2 seconds, with a top speed limited to 155 mph, pretty sharp cornering and braking, and manages to achieve all of this with all of the typically boring and trouble free reliability you would expect from a Mercedes.

Colleagues and friends driving similarly specced and priced diesel BMWs report similar performance, fuel economy and reliability.

The only hybrid I ever owned was a Lexus (I seem to have always had a preference for boringly reliable) GS450h and while I absolutely loved the CVT transmission and it certainly had plenty of power, I only kept it for a short while because the handling wasn't great and the fuel economy was appalling.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015

I have few complaints with my late model 3.6l V6 Camaro, 323 HP naturally aspirated 11.5 to 1 compression direct injection. Burns 87 octane. Very flat torque curve, never saw one like it before. 7200 Rpm red line. Pretty car, inferno orange with black stripes. Everywhere I go people just gawk at it. Many will walk up to me "Awwww beautiful car!". 6 speed auto with paddle shift. Can stuff it into the corners hard because of the light aluminum engine. I get 35 MPG Hwy at 55,, 34 at 60. By comparison this kind of performance in a late 60's muscle car was less than 10 MPG. Best thing is price. Gee it was a toss up... I could have gotten a used Kia Sportage instead for the same money. No contest. Con's: A little heavy at 3750 Curb weight. Visibility poor.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Crikey! That's pretty poor. No wonder you USAns need to go such lengths to secure access to oil ...

The engine driven turbocharged version sadly isn't made any more and anyway it was pretty unusual. See: L67 series 2 engine in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine#L67_Supercharged_2 I sort of don't think it's responsible for a oil shortage.

My diesel E350 CDI manages 50 mpg highway and 38 mpg city (= UK 60 mpg motorway and 46 mpg city = EU 6.1 litres per 100 Kms urban and 4.7 litres per 100 Km extra-urban) while delivering 258 bhp, going from 0 to 62 mph in 6.2 seconds, with a top speed limited to 155 mph, pretty sharp cornering and braking, and manages to achieve all of this with all of the typically boring and trouble free reliability you would expect from a Mercedes.

Any E class Mercedes is a lovely car. I'd want one however, in the US, trouble free reliability is not what Consumer Reports magazine which has tracked such things for decades, says. Best in size range are Lexus and Toyota Camry. And of course the purchase price is pretty high. But wonderfully performing and very comfortable last time I drove one (5 years ago).
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: sonoboyI have few complaints with my late model 3.6l V6 Camaro, 323 HP naturally aspirated 11.5 to 1 compression direct injection. Burns 87 octane. Very flat torque curve, never saw one like it before. 7200 Rpm red line. Pretty car, inferno orange with black stripes. Everywhere I go people just gawk at it. Many will walk up to me "Awwww beautiful car!". 6 speed auto with paddle shift. Can stuff it into the corners hard because of the light aluminum engine. I get 35 MPG Hwy at 55,, 34 at 60. By comparison this kind of performance in a late 60's muscle car was less than 10 MPG. Best thing is price. Gee it was a toss up... I could have gotten a used Kia Sportage instead for the same money. No contest. Con's: A little heavy at 3750 Curb weight. Visibility poor.
    I hate to ask but do you have a small penis? It sort of tends to go with the Camaro and its color scheme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015 edited

The engine driven turbocharged version sadly isn't made any more and anyway it was pretty unusual. See: L67 series 2 engine in this article:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine#L67_Supercharged_2I sort of don't think it's responsible for a oil shortage.

Heh, no, not likely! But I wasn't suggesting that it was ...

I was of course referring to the apparent USAn penchant for putting ridiculously overpowered engines with appallingly poor fuel economy into cars designed to go very fast in a straight line, and to very quickly go where you would prefer they did not when you need them to around corners, but, of course, you knew that, didn't you?

Any E class Mercedes is a lovely car. I'd want one however, in the US, trouble free reliability is not what Consumer Reports magazine which has tracked such things for decades, says. Best in size range are Lexus and Toyota Camry. And of course the purchase price is pretty high. But wonderfully performing and very comfortable last time I drove one (5 years ago).

Yeah, apparently they seem to have had some issues with some of their models from the 90s and the noughties, but apparently this has improved in recent years, or so I have been led to believe. At any rate I've owned a few and never had any issues with any of them, and their latest model seems rock solid to me ... so far. I guess I will soon find out! I'm considering switching to a BMW 535d the next time out for its superior high speed cornering ability.

The Lexus was a boringly reliable car alright, but by far the most boring of all of the boring cars that I ever owned was a Camry. To me that Camry seemed to be the very epitome of dull and boring and one of the most soulless and uninspired piece of utilitarian engineering that I ever encountered. And I thought it was hideously ugly as well. I loved it ...
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited

Posted By: DuracellThe Lexus was a boringly reliable car alright, but by far the most boring of all of the boring cars that I ever owned was a Camry. To me that Camry seemed to be the very epitome of dull and boring and one of the most soulless and uninspired piece of utilitarian engineering that I ever encountered. And I thought it was hideously ugly as well. I loved it ...
    Well, I need a respite from all the service the current Belchfire requires so my next vehicle in a year or two may be a Camry, probably the LXE trim with a V6. Boring it may be but after eight visits to the dealership over three years, under extended warranty, they were unable to diagnose and fix a transmission on Belchfire, which occasionally, out of the blue, every few days, gets into a mood to slip and thunk on upshift. And I mean a serious, heartfelt THUNK followed by a powerful LURCH! Their best answer: "Uh duhh... nothing shows on the computer." I bought an OBD2 reader to check and they're right. It doesn't. Their measured pressures on the dyno were also within specs though one (I dunno which) was reproducibly marginal. Oh well, when the tranny falls out onto the roadway, I will replace either it or the car. We'll see.

Car before the first Belchfires was a Volvo. Mildly underpowered but great cornering and brakes. Nice tight steering. Belchfires never know which side of the road they're on for sure. But the Volvo was monumentally unreliable. Eventually, maybe because I live near the sea, the entire fuse box rotted/corroded out and had to be partly replaced and rewired. On another Volvo I had, the timing chain broke at speed leaving the valves to determine their own schedules. The mechanic told me that the inside of some of the cylinders looked like a metal omelette. Strangely, the event didn't make much noise. Just a muted thunk, a dead engine, and all the warning lights lit up like it did a a POST. Fun. That was a while ago-- when you could still come to a comparatively safe steered stop without the engine running. That would probably have been much worse now.

BTW, the 2012 - 2014 Camry's got progressively uglier and stranger but the 2015 has slightly better lines in my estimation. The darn thing is still much too high and looks chubby and short for its height and width.
    Have had my 1995 Camry since 2000. Does 100 mph for days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015

I clocked up over 300,000 miles on my Camry.

Wow! Beginning to look dangerously like consensus: We all loved our boring, ugly, uninspired and utterly reliable and dependable Camrys!
    Not one service yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited

A friend had a 2000 Camry. After 135,000 miles, it started and ran fine. It did have slightly wobbly steering but still quite safe and useable. And along the way, it ate an air conditioner compressor, an ignition switch and a starter. That was about it. She gave it to her housekeeper who totalled it. Fortunately she was unhurt but she did get fired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

I have a business trip to the US looming in 5 or 6 weeks time. I might see if I can get hire a Camry for the trip just for the nostalgia of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: DuracellI have a business trip to the US looming in 5 or 6 weeks time. I might see if I can get hire a Camry for the trip just for the nostalgia of it.
    Renting Camry's in the US isn't much of a challenge. Toyota dealers even have a "rent to try" program in some locations.
    If you're in the Bay Area let's go for a beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: DuracellI have a business trip to the US looming in 5 or 6 weeks time. I might see if I can get hire a Camry for the trip just for the nostalgia of it.
    Renting Camry's in the US isn't much of a challenge. Toyota dealers even have a "rent to try" program in some locations.
    Yep, but for some reason I always seem to end up with an Infiniti.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIf you're in the Bay Area let's go for a beer
    Would love to, but unfortunately I will be nowhere near the Bay Area during this trip. My itinerary has not been fully nailed down yet, but so far it looks like a quick stop in Chicago, followed by a few days in Idaho, then a brief trip to Dakota, then a day or 2 in New Mexico, and then back home.
    Dakota in January sounds peachy!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: DuracellYep, but for some reason I always seem to end up with an Infiniti.
    Very nice cars. Sort of gussied up Nissans like Lexus is a gussied up Toyota. Clever those Japanese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016

Are there any car rallies in America? They're pretty rare in this part of it.