Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016

tG

UK seeking tariff-free EU deal for carmakers, Nissan told.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/30/nissan-eu-tariff-free-brexit-sunderland
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016 edited

Range extenders are the most obvious possible enhancement to purely electric cars. Amazing that they are not more developed and that Tesla won't use them. Tesla cars are mostly relegated to commuters and rich people who have another car and keep them for prestige and as toys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Sort of a crankshaftless Boxer engine.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016 edited

The bulk of cars are still steel boxes on rubber-rimmed wheels powered by dead and long-rotten vegetation.

Call me when you've got something really new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

Posted By: AngusSort of a crankshaftless Boxer engine.

Good description!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2016

Kia's advising SUV owners to park outside in case there's a "thermal event"

"Hello? I need you to send the fire brigade. My house is having a thermal event!"
    Posted By: AsterixKia's advising SUV owners to park outside in case there's a "thermal event"

"Hello? I need you to send the fire brigade. My house is having a thermal event!"
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016 edited

That thermal event is out of control!, quick throw some water on it!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016

Posted By: LakesThat thermal event is out of control!, quick throw some water on it!

Not water, silly--"coolant".
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016

Oh yes, sorry. :)
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016

The Lexus LIT
    "the most interesting mode is "Gesture", which allows the car’s LEDs to be controlled by a person's movements", custom messages to the driver in front... :D
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/14/ubers-self-driving-cars-start-picking-up-passengers-in-san-francisco/

The vehicle I was in had to negotiate some heavy traffic, a lot of construction and very unpredictable south-of-Market San Francisco drivers, and as such did disengage with fair frequency. but it also handled long open stretches of road at speed with aplomb, and kept distance in more dense traffic well in stop-and-go situations.

My Camry with adaptive cruise control does that and it is FAR from anything resembling self driving.

It felt overall like a system that is making good progress in terms of learning – but one that also still has a long way to go before it can do without its human minders up front.

Yah. what could possibly go wrong.

To be clear, the radar cruise control on the Camry has a very narrow beam and only "sees" vehicles ahead merging into the lane often too late. It's helpful but one still has to be attentive. And the system cuts out with a soft double beep below 20-25 mph. It works fine on the open road but that's not all that hard to do.
    Real cars
    http://jalopnik.com/watching-this-1928-frazer-nash-tear-ass-around-the-trac-1791673335

I used to drive my 1935 Morris 8 up and down Stanmore 'Ill to and from work. Unless something went wrong. Which it did, on and off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

Posted By: LakesThe Lexus LIT
    "the most interesting mode is "Gesture", which allows the car’s LEDs to be controlled by a person's movements", custom messages to the driver in front... :D

Considering that octopuses do that sort of thing to camouflage themselves, to give false clues about their motion, and to attract mates - do you really think it's a good idea to have a car that does it?
    At least it wouldn't be distracting
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017 edited

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: LakesThe Lexus LIT

Considering that octopuses do that sort of thing to camouflage themselves, to give false clues about their motion, and to attract mates - do you really think it's a good idea to have a car that does it?
    Positively moronic. And on the same web page, it is obvious that "Mini" is dedicated to make the world's most hideously ugly cars.

BTW, Lexus (a division of Toyota) should spend their time and resources on other things. For example, the terrible "Entune" entertainment and nav systems. I love my new Camry XLE Hybrid but I hate Entune. The displays are complex and extremely distracting under way, the computer is very slow, voice control almost never gets it right and takes forever to react and finally, on one occasion, the entire system froze up under way. I was concerned enough to stop and "cold boot" it (shut power off to the car and restart). But restarting took several tries. Scary. The car is wonderful but extremely complex and filled with sensors and systems.
    The Mini Cooper is a lovely vehicle
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThe Mini Cooper is a lovely vehicle
    No accounting for tastes. I find it hideous, inside and out. Instruments on the dash were shaped, sized, and placed by a preteen on acid.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Changing the clock time on a Subaru Forester.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2017/03/13/daylight-saving-hell/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You don't need to learn Navaho. You just take up automotive transhumance and move to eastern pastures in the spring.