Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019 edited

Hang onto your knobs--they're taking them away

I find touchscreen controls annoying when trying to manipulate analog quantities, such as volume. Touch-screen keypads, even on larger devices, such as tablets, are a nightmare--I have large hands and keep mashing the wrong "button". Typing on a tablet or smartphone is something I'd like to avoid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Gesture control is a silly, but fun, gimmick. I use it far more than I expected. Voice control is improving all the time and is now quite reliable. I use it far less than I expected. The HUD has become indispensable as far as I am concerned and become one of those non-negotiable must have features on the checklist of options for new cars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2019

"Computer, ..."
    HUD is the control data vision of the future. But built into the user's head (or maybe something like a google glass) rather than into the (automobile, aeroplane, rocketship, lawnmower) itself.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Teslas have no HUD. I was really disappointed when I learned that, but haven't missed it for a second.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Accelerator, brake clutch shift and steering wheel. Drop one if you have an automatic transmission.

Speedometer and fuel gauge as a bonus.

Don't know what the other fancy stuff is, other than a distraction.
    Drop them all if you have FSD
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

The HUD is the opposite of the a distraction. It keeps your eyes on the road and focused in the near field.

Adaptive cruise control helps to avoid distraction by automatically accelerating the car up to the speed limit and automatically braking and slowing the car as you catch up to slower traffic in front of you. Adaptive headlights also help to avoid distraction by automatically adjusting your car’s lighting to optimally illuminate the road ahead depending on the local conditions, automatically dimming when you face oncoming traffic or when you catch up to slower traffic in front of you, and automatically providing illumination around corners as turn the steering wheel in their direction. Automatic wipers also help to avoid distraction by automatically activating as soon as your windscreen gets wet and automatically speeding up and slowing down and stopping in response to the weather. All of these automated systems help to prevent you from getting distracted by trying to perform any of these tasks manually.

Of course, however, if people tend to just use take advantage of all of these automated systems in order to pay more attention to their smartphones instead of to their driving, then it wont help to reduce the prevalence of distracted driving much, but that’s hardly the fault of the car manufacturers or their automated systems ...
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2020

Offered without comment:

Big SUV
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

A battery-powered Hummer may be better for the environment, but it reinforces the culture of waste and excess that got us into this environmental mess in the first place.

Yep.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2020 edited

The more the merrier!
    --More's Law
    Cybertruck will crush eHummer
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Lada Niva 4x4 is already the perfect car. Why does Tesla even try?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanCybertruck will crush eHummer

eGolf crushed stretch-limos long before 'cyber' was even a thing. And eGolfs suck like bigtime, some people say it's almost in black hole territory suckage.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

CYBERTURK

Gotta luv the paisley vest and cummerbund.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Toyota market cap $239.61B. Even at today's inflated prices, Tesla has about $75B to go to catch Toyota.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

• CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanCybertruck will crush eHummer

it reinforces the culture of waste and excess that got us into this environmental mess in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2020

Posted By: goatcheezToyota market cap $239.61B. Even at today's inflated prices, Tesla has about $75B to go to catch Toyota.

Well, Toyota only made $23B profit last year.