Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Yes, yes - I already mentioned those. I'm interested in a deeper consequence
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014 edited

Communicating information requires the transmission of something - EM energy, letters, pheromones, whatever. If such a transfer can happen faster than current c, then all that has happened is that the value of c has changed, unless you imagine some particular something can go faster than the rest. In that case, everything we know does't work. In the former case, we have some sort of scaling factor, and I suppose somebody will point out that 3x108 m/s is some kind of goldilocks value and we will cease to exist.
    I'm sure something works. What it is I don't know. All else remains the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014

So something can go faster than c. What?
    It's massless - of course. But it carries information if required.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Telepathy is pretty fast, but not too accurate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIt's massless - of course. But it carries information if required.

It would have to have imaginary mass, but I understand that doesn't work either. I think aber0der is on the right track. You can have information faster than light if you just make it up yourself. But it won't be very accurate.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It turns out that you can't use entanglement to transmit information faster than light, even if you can amplify the entangled states.
    Angus is correct.

It occurred to me that an analogy to hand might be that (entanglement), but telepathy hadn't occurred to me (despite being a firm believer in its efficacy due to personal experience). But no, my scenario was pointedly abstract, in fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Telepathy is just another word for making it up yourself and picking out the good bits later. It is definitely faster than light.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I once saw a girl at a party correctly pick every card from an unmarked deck (not her own) being held by another person sitting some distance from her. Not, an accomplice, the person holding the cards was my younger brother.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: loremanI once saw a girl at a party correctly pick every card from an unmarked deck (not her own) being held by another person sitting some distance from her. Not, an accomplice, the person holding the cards was my younger brother.

Someday he will describe to you the secret reward he received for his collusion, no doubt.

You will be amazed at the lengths people will go to, in order to produce a great effect like that.

Well, being an attorney... maybe you wouldn't be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujaMvPUBcvY
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

I never heard of Jason Ladanye before... but he is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGRA4nBV2Q

He memorizes the entire deck at 0:40.
    Some of the skills: he locates all remaining 10s and knows their count in the deck, in seconds while "showing" it's an ordinary deck. He cuts to a specific count, many times over, to bring all the tens to the top of the deck. And so on. All the while keeping up the patter. He is amazing, but there is nothing he does that can't be done.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: loremanI once saw a girl at a party correctly pick every card from an unmarked deck (not her own) being held by another person sitting some distance from her. Not, an accomplice, the person holding the cards was my younger brother.

Someday he will describe to you the secret reward he received for his collusion, no doubt.

You will be amazed at the lengths people will go to, in order to produce a great effect like that.

Well, being an attorney... maybe you wouldn't be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujaMvPUBcvY

I know there's some extremely clever tricky people out there, but in this instance there was no trickery, and I have no explanation. I knew this girl quite well (you might say). She had an IQ of 119, studied to be a primary school teacher (but ended up becoming a real estate agent) and was probably smarter than her IQ because she was dyslexic. She did this thing one night at a party and wouldn't/couldn't do it again. It's just an anecdote, I know, but it was pretty amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

It's fun to be amazed. I've seen some pretty amazing things I couldn't explain too. I used to go to meetings of the Parapsychology Association when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area and my er, um, companion was one of the leaders of the group. One day we had a remote viewing session, she having a rather tight connection to the "scientific" exploration of such matters at SRI back in the day. We were supposed to sketch impressions of an item that was double-blinded and inaccessible. (Someone not at the meeting had selected the item and placed it in an underwater safe, IIRC, and sealed its description in an envelope that someone else at the meeting could open after we RVd as best we could.) Guess whose sketch most resembled the actual object: your humble correspondent's did.

("no trickery"... of course. If you saw the trickery it wouldn't be a very good trick. Not seeing the trickery proves it was done well.)
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: alsetalokinIt's fun to be amazed. I've seen some pretty amazing things I couldn't explain too. I used to go to meetings of the Parapsychology Association when I lived in the San Francisco Bay area and my er, um, companion was one of the leaders of the group. One day we had a remote viewing session, she having a rather tight connection to the "scientific" exploration of such matters at SRI back in the day. We were supposed to sketch impressions of an item that was double-blinded and inaccessible. (Someone not at the meeting had selected the item and placed it in an underwater safe, IIRC, and sealed its description in an envelope that someone else at the meeting could open after we RVd as best we could.) Guess whose sketch most resembled the actual object: your humble correspondent's did.

("no trickery"... of course. If you saw the trickery it wouldn't be a very good trick. Not seeing the trickery proves it was done well.)

Next you'll be telling me you killed a goat. The Universe throws up wonderful, random amazements at times. It would be interesting if certain people were there more regularly when such amazements happen.
    I followed the directions: I just let my mind wander, not trying anything, and kind of doodling on the pad. Eventually my doodles started taking on some kind of shape. I had no idea what it looked like or represented but it was something, with characteristics and features. After a few minutes everyone put all their drawings in a pile, and the blind envelope was opened to show the photograph of an antique tortoiseshell hair comb thing. The consensus was that my drawing most resembled the object. But I had no "impression" of anything, I just doodled.