Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

The streaming video should include some reference, like a clock, to show that this isn't simply a looped video. There doesn't seem to be enough activity to provide a decent reference.

(if some kind unbanned reader would post this at Steorn, I'd appreciate it)
    • CommentAuthormensor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

I'm sceptical...but not that sceptical.
    OC, why do we need evidence it's not looped? There's nothing for them to fake - all it's got to do is keep running on a battery for 2 weeks. Even I could manage to build that.
    Posted By: overconfidentThe streaming video should include some reference, like a clock, to show that this isn't simply a looped video. There doesn't seem to be enough activity to provide a decent reference.

OC it is a pulse motor generator with a new twist of rhetoric. The so called BEF reduction or elimination.
    To measure the output ( or discharge), to the input (recharge) of a battery has already been show to be a difficult problem. There have been noted labs make mistakes on such. Research the Adams motor more.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited

I`d like to see some continuous Speed and charge level metering taking place...

Edit: ok, just seen Losts post, continuous tacho readings then...
    • CommentAuthorcwatters
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

Posted By: overconfidentThe streaming video should include some reference, like a clock, to show that this isn't simply a looped video. There doesn't seem to be enough activity to provide a decent reference.

Why bother. It's a pointless demo. It would have to run for at least 6 months without changing that battery for me to be even remotely impressed. I estimate a pager motor could run it for a few weeks.
    A stop-start PM device would help a lot.
    An electric bell was built at Oxford in the early 19th century, running off a sealed Volta battery. It's worked continuously since then. And it's not even rechargeable.
    Posted By: overconfidentA stop-start PM device would help a lot.

Don't you have one sitting on your kitchen table?
    Posted By: alsetalokin

Yeah, but it wasn't developed by "Steorn". I was thinking of the K-Toy or some such thing. :<|
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009 edited

Posted By: overconfident
    Posted By: alsetalokin

Yeah, but it wasn't developed by "Steorn". I was thinking of the K-Toy or some such thing. :<|

Binned a long time ago. According to Seansaid, that is.
    I still think a clock or something should be in view, so we can tell it's not just a loop we're looking at.
    • CommentAuthororbMob
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

Suggestions - Use larger batteries. When you swap out the units in the middle of the night like TachoMan did on camera, it spoils the effect.
    All Steorn needs is an orbo water pump.
    Posted By: overconfidentI still think a clock or something should be in view, so we can tell it's not just a loop we're looking at.

I just saw Tachoman take readings on two machines and write them down. Then a few minutes later I just saw Tachoman take readings on two machines and write them down. It seemed like 3 or 5 minutes between.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Why do they have a taco man? Whatever he is recording could be data logged, right? Maybe HE is the reference that OC is looking for.

I would also like to have a running clock so we could see if they set it back to zero if they have to change a battery and start over. Even if it is silly, I think it should be timed. That way there is at least an appearance of measuring the run time you get on one battery. Then some of us who like to do meaningless calculations can figure the energy and compare it to our estimates and to expected battery life. If this sounds pointless and boring then remember, its cheaper than golf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: enginerdWhy do they have a taco man? Whatever he is recording could be data logged, right? Maybe HE is the reference that OC is looking for.

I would also like to have a running clock so we could see if they set it back to zero if they have to change a battery and start over. Even if it is silly, I think it should be timed. That way there is at least an appearance of measuring the run time you get on one battery. Then some of us who like to do meaningless calculations can figure the energy and compare it to our estimates and to expected battery life. If this sounds pointless and boring then remember, its cheaper than golf.

And you don't even need to have balls to do it...

*go away from the thread in shame for bad puns*
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

They could have a picture of a very large cake with the name Mary above it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

A partial clock is the window at the back, you can see it slowly getting brighter. That video screen at the back left, bugs me it goes from blue to green and then back to blue. What is its purpose? Could it be a source of EM radiation?
    The video screen appears to be showing the orbo "get real" advert.

Over and over and over and ...