Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014 edited

Posted By: Knuckles OTooleDon Pardo's advice on using shorter words.
    Awesome.

Reminded me of the announcer on The Good Old Days
    • CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2014

Two of the five most powerful men in Spain have died within a week, both at the age of 79: the president of Santander bank and the president of El Corte Inglés, a chain of stores that can be compared to say Harrods, every major city has one or more Corte Inglés buildings.

Their ads combined virtually paid for all the written media in this country. Botín (Santander) died on monday and tuesday newspapers had tons of pages about him and absolutely not a single negative comment. Isidoro Álvarez, the guy from El Corte Inglés has died just today. Can't wait to see papers tomorrow.
    Because
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014

•  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015

RIP Penny, aged 13.

The beloved dog of our friend Fried Mike, passed away from congestive heart failure in our bathroom about an hour ago. She was a good old dog, a golden retriever mix, friendly and warm. Suffered a lot in her last days, let go quietly and among friends.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinRIP Penny, aged 13.

The beloved dog of our friend Fried Mike, passed away from congestive heart failure in our bathroom about an hour ago. She was a good old dog, a golden retriever mix, friendly and warm. Suffered a lot in her last days, let go quietly and among friends.

That's a pretty ripe age for a dog of that breed. I've buried several Goldens that were much younger--every single one of them died from cancer. The last one finally made me start looking at other breeds--settled on a black Lab, who's showing no signs of slowing down at age 9. Still have a big (85 lb) male Golden, though.
    A little mixing helps the immune system.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015

RIP Mike Porcaro
    context context context context context context context context
    otherwise how could you take someone called yu or we seriously?
    Forensic scientists say they have found the tomb of Spain's much-loved giant of literature, Miguel de Cervantes, nearly 400 years after his death.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31852032
    • CommentAuthorbr
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2015

• CommentAuthortinker

I wonder if DQ is still mounted on Rosinante, or just holding her bridle?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuanten

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanRIP indeed. If launch costs were much lower, the idea becomes more feasible. The primary critique was always beam safety, but I did see plans that delivered seriously useful power at power densities that birds, planes and satellites could pass through unaffected. The safety tradeoff is a larger ground footprint.

The primary critique has always been maintenance cost. Not really safety. Well maybe in normal litterature, but when you speak to people which know their stuff the problem ahs always been that the maitnenance cost make it a losing proposition.

Your solar cell in space even well protected won't last that long. We have experience with old satellite, and so far my conversation with ESA guys were, the primary mode of failure were : 1) lack of propellant 2) antenna 3) solar panels with 1) being the biggest security risk which is why you deorbit satellite before that happens. 2) and 3) would limit the lifetime of a solar satellite.

But what are the avantage ? Well you get about 2* the same insulation as on the ground when in the sun, at a low altitude, for some projection I read. That's about it

That is why it makes sense to have solar colelction in space, to the space industry : bring more money to the desk. but that is aloso why it amkes no sense whatsoever for people producing energy : because for the same damn price, you buy a huge tract of land, put a lot of panel directed at a molten salt tower, and pay a guy to swipe dust and replace mirror on the cheap.

There are very few place on earth where you could not have the place on ground to do that at all : isolated island, or palce with environment so hostile or very low insolation.

Solar collector only made sense to dreamer. Not to energy producer.
    Good post. It's insolation btw
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015

Stan Freberg, aged 88.

"Who put eight great tomatoes in that little bitty can?"
    • CommentAuthorthehard
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015

Posted By: magic momentForensic scientists say they have found the tomb of Spain's much-loved giant of literature, Miguel de Cervantes, nearly 400 years after his death.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31852032

Sorry I didn't mention it on time.

There's been quite a controversy here, because IT'S COMPLETELY USELESS. And also, because Federico García Lorca, the greatest Spanish poet of the 20th century, was shot in the brink of the civil war in 1936, buried with other victims in some pit and his remains haven't been a priority for any government so far. He represents the many thousands of bodies that were shot at the time and the subsequent fascist dictator only paid respect to the ones on his side.