Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019 edited

What, me worry?

I wouldn't be the person I am today without having had Mad Magazine as a kid. But somehow it's appropriate for it to be gone.

I have a vague memory of trying to get a Scientific American magazine back cover to "fold-in" and reveal a secret joke the way Mad did.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019

Oh bugger
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019

Arte Johnson

Very interesting...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2019

João Gilberto
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2019

Rip2 then
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: aber0derJoão Gilberto

No music collection can be considered complete without the Getz/Gilberto album holding a prominent place.

Stan Getz didn't like Astrud Gilberto's voice. Shows what he knows about music, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2019

Yes, she can't sing. OTOH, she does. But everything she sings dies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019 edited

Rutger Hauer

...and so young!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019

I see that Blade Runner was supposed to have been a flop when it was released. What were people thinking of? I recall stunned enthusiasm at that time.
    Good old Rutger
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019

Time to die
    Tears in the rain
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2019

Well don't just stand there - stitch them up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2019

Kary Mullis, whose invention of the polymerase chain reaction technique earned him the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1993, died of pneumonia on August 7, according to MyNewsLA.com. He was 74 years old.

According to a 1998 profile in The Washington Post, Mullis was known as a “weird” figure in science and “flamboyant” philanderer who evangelized the use of LSD, denied the evidence for both global warming and HIV as a cause of AIDS, consulted for O.J. Simpson’s legal defense, and formed a company that sold jewelry embedded with celebrities’ DNA. The opening paragraph of his Nobel autobiography includes a scene depicting a visit from Mullis’s dying grandfather in “non-substantial form.”

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/kary-mullis--inventor-of-the-pcr-technique--dies-66256
    What a character. He proved that a surfer can win a Nobel Prize, and that single invention of PCR changed the world in many ways. It may have been an inevitable invention but Kary got there first and got famous from it.
    74 is not very old as these things go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2019

Have you read about his personal CE iv?
    Posted By: goatcheezHave you read about his personal CE iv?

I don't think so. I think I did read a book he wrote though. Memory is vague.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Peter Fonda, aged 79.