Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2019

• CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinYou'd have to be crazy, to be the greatest drummer of all time.

He was total prick. Being The Greatest Drummer of All Time let him get away with it all his life.

Jack Bruce was pretty damn gifted, and seemed to manage being a decent person. I like this story

The story goes when late bassist Jack Bruce was a few hours from death in 2014, he phoned up close friends to say goodbye. When he called his ex-Cream band mate Ginger Baker, he told him, “I’m dying, Ginger, f*ck you,” then slammed down the phone. Baker tried to call back several times, of course, but Bruce wouldn’t pick up.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well - Gene Krupa? Evelyn Glennie...?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Or Van Cliburn, for that matter. I don't see a piano as anything more than a percussion instrument.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It is generally so considered, I believe...but what about the harpsichord?
    Well, sure, Krupa, or Rich ... but Baker covered more genres I think.

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: alsetalokinYou'd have to be crazy, to be the greatest drummer of all time.

He was total prick. Being The Greatest Drummer of All Time let him get away with it all his life.

Jack Bruce was pretty damn gifted, and seemed to manage being a decent person. I like this story

The story goes when late bassist Jack Bruce was a few hours from death in 2014, he phoned up close friends to say goodbye. When he called his ex-Cream band mate Ginger Baker, he told him, “I’m dying, Ginger, f*ck you,” then slammed down the phone. Baker tried to call back several times, of course, but Bruce wouldn’t pick up.

Now that is class. Jack Bruce is (was) one of my idols.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PTUpzsDkuA
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinBaker covered more genres I think

I think Evelyn has got that one in spades.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: AngusIt is generally so considered, I believe...but what about the harpsichord?

Even more so--dynamics are limited at best; not even as capable as the clavichord, which also allows a certain amount pitch "bending".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But the harpsichord action involves no percussion. It is a plucked instrument.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

A very small distinction.

I submit that the action of a harpsichord jack assembly is substantially different from the action invoked by a harpist, for example.

Fundamentally, the player has no control over pitch or dynamics. To call a harpsichord a member of the string family is an affront to violinists and guitarists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2019 edited

Arguably to call a piano a percussion instrument is an affront to pianists. Fortunately we have the category "clavier" for them. Does it include the typewriter?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Untuned percussion.

I've heard it said that pianists envy violinists for their flexibility in tuning and bowing, while violinists would like the ability to play up to 10 notes simultaneously over 7 octaves.

No instrument is perfect.
    There's chord envy with wind players, no doubt. Closest I ever got was interweaving two tunes into one on the recorder. I remember it was exhilarating but that's about all. At the time I was sharing a car with three other people on the way from Herat to Kabul via Kandahar and was geologically stoned. I remember one asking me at the end if that's what I'd done, and only then I realised it. One of those nice little memories.