Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

"You're only as old as the women you feel."
    Groucho Marx
    "YOLO"
    (Buddha)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014

"Yo Mama!"

Yo Yo Ma
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014 edited

I love Russia and all who stand loyally by her side in her mighty wrestlings with the giant powers of ignorance and imperialist greed. When I first heard of the glorious words, "Soviet Republic of Russia," it was as if a new light shone through my darkness. I felt that the sun of a better day had risen upon the world. Those glowing, hope-inspiring words, "Soviet Republic of Russia," meant that at last the principles of truth, justice and brotherhood had gained a foothold upon earth, and this thought has run like a shining furrow through the dark years that have intervened. We have witnessed Russia's superhuman struggle in a world blinded by avarice and calumny. But despite intriques and blockades and the wicked misinterpretations of a stupid, dishonest press, she stands today firmly entrenched in her just cause, while the old social order is collapsing at her feet.

- Helen Keller
    If wishes were horses
    I am always struck by the rich visual metaphors that run through all of Helen Keller's text. It makes me kind of suspicious, really.
    • CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014

There's none so blind as those who will not listen

Neil Gaiman
    Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

-Ecclesiastes 7:29
    wtf does that mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014 edited

I have discovered only this: God made human beings for righteousness, but they seek many alternatives.

International Standard Version.

I like the KJB better. It covers the free energy scammers quite specifically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Hector Berlioz
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Saul said, “You shall tell David, ‘The king desires no dowry except one hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to be avenged of the king’s enemies.’” Now Saul thought to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines. When his servants told David these words, it pleased David well to be the king’s son-in-law. The days were not expired; and David arose and went, he and his men, and killed of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full number to the king, that he might be the king’s son-in-law. Saul gave him Michal his daughter as wife. Saul saw and knew that Yahweh was with David; and Michal, Saul’s daughter, loved him.

~ First Book of Samuel, 18:25 to 18:28
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Jacob gets sneaky on the Shechemites

We will give our consent to you on one condition only: that you become like us by circumcising all your males. Then we will give you our daughters and take your daughters for ourselves. We’ll settle among you and become one people with you. But if you will not agree to be circumcised, we’ll take our sister and go.” Their proposal seemed good to Hamor and his son Shechem. The young man, who was the most honored of all his father’s household, lost no time in doing what they said, because he was delighted with Jacob’s daughter. So Hamor and his son Shechem went to the gate of their city to speak to their fellow townsmen. “These men are friendly toward us,” they said. “Let them live in our land and trade in it; the land has plenty of room for them. We can marry their daughters and they can marry ours. But the men will consent to live with us as one people only on the condition that our males be circumcised, as they themselves are. Won’t their livestock, their property and all their other animals become ours? So let us give our consent to them, and they will settle among us.” All the men who went out of the city gate agreed with Hamor and his son Shechem, and every male in the city was circumcised. Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob’s sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah’s brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male.

Genesis 34:15-25
    Well, obviously he was a complete cad.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014

What an astonishing thing a book is. It's a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you're inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.

[Cosmos, Part 11: The Persistence of Memory (1980)]”
    Unless you're from a culture with no written tradition
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014 edited

You could equally well say that even if you are from a culture with a written tradition, then a book in a foreign language is inaccessible to you. But that doesn't mean that a book is not and astonishing thing.
    Yep. It's always nice to have a few lying around within easy reach, so that my housemate's buddies don't set their beers down on the woodwork and leave rings. Although magazines generally work better, a book will do in a pinch.