Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2019

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanZuck the lying moron

Also greedy, corrupt, unconscious etc.

Libertarians are the true 'libtards'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2019

5G: World's first commercial services promise 'great leap'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47796528
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2019

The Internet slave markets

I wonder if payment is in Bitcoin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2020

This will make it difficult for Iran, et. al., to deprive their citizens of internet services.

[/url
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2020

Makes a lot of things more difficult.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020 edited

There are a lot of ftp sites that are read-only with data publicly-accessible. Privacy and security just doesn't matter there.

I use ftp quite liberally within my private network here--it works across almost all network-capable systems. But it's also behind a firewall.

And I invoke ftp with the command "ftp"--no GUI garbage here.
    But I suspect plain-text ftp will go the way of telnet...
    I still use telnet, and even vi on occasion. As few of them as possible, but still.

alsetalokin@whatever:~$ man telnet

TELNET(1) BSD General Commands Manual TELNET(1)

NAME
    telnet — user interface to the TELNET protocol

SYNOPSIS
    telnet [-468ELadr] [-S tos] [-b address] [-e escapechar] [-l user]
    [-n tracefile] [host [port]]

DESCRIPTION
    The telnet command is used for interactive communication with another
    host using the TELNET protocol. It begins in command mode, where it
    prints a telnet prompt ("telnet> "). If telnet is invoked with a host
    argument, it performs an open command implicitly; see the description
    below.

etc
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2020

Clearly, you don't use OpenBSD, who has long-since declared telnet to be a security plague.

The standard response to "I don't want to use SSH on OpenBSD" is "Good--go find some source and implement it on your own system."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

I moved all my FTP stuff over to SFTP some time ago.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Got an implementation for Windows 95?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020

My domain name resembles that of another operation, differing mostly in TLD. So I get angry emails demanding that I remove the photo or other information of a person from my web site.

I go through a very detailed explanation on how xxxx.net is not the same as xxxx.org or xxxx.com, saying that the registration information of the subject domain is hidden behind a "private" registrar service, so I don't even know who they are.

What I don't say is "If you post your photo and personal information on the web, it's there free for anyone to use in any way they want. If you didn't want it out there, you shouldn't have put it there in the first place. Toothpaste, meet toothpaste tube."

It's incredible that some people still don't understand this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Some people understand nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AsterixIf you post your photo and personal information on the web, it's there free for anyone to use in any way they want. If you didn't want it out there, you shouldn't have put it there in the first place. Toothpaste, meet toothpaste tube."

So no copyright or other IP on the web? Anything is up for grabs and can be used as anyone wishes? Sounds like utter bunkum to me.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: AsterixWhat I don't say is "If you post your photo and personal information on the web, it's there free for anyone to use in any way they want.

Eh?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Facebook stuff. AFAIK, you surrender all claims to IP when you post with them. There are sites who use that information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020 edited

Most similar organizations' agreements for use surrenders copyrights to the service provider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020 edited

Posted By: AsterixFacebook stuff.

Ah. Sorry. You said "the web", which I kind of read as just any old website including - since you were talking about your domain, ones <ahem>, own domain(s).

AFAIK, you surrender all claims to IP when you post with them.

You certainly grant them rights over content you ask them to distribute and those rights are extensive in permitting re-use. To be fair, you have to grant some evil website 'owner' some rights to distribute your content otherwise no user content. You are still the copyright holder of your own words/content. If you were not, you wouldn't be able to give the rights to ... "the web", err, Facebook.

There are sites who use that information.

You have lost me. What information and for what and how does it relate to ...

where were we? Oh, never mind.
    No information, except maybe that which exists entirely in one's own head, is truly private.

And we are working on that last bit as well.

Of course there are degrees of privacy and expectations thereof. even on the internet. I don't expect a Facebook post to be private in any way. I expect a banking transaction to be considerably more private, but I know that events continue to prove that even "secure" information when sent over the internet is not as secure as it could or should be.