Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited

tE

He added that an ammonia-fuelled ICE could be almost as efficient as some current engine designs.

Huh! Hydrogen, whats wrong with fuel cells? Electric wheels.

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/automotive/news/hydrogen-breakthrough-paves-way-for-ammonia-fuelled-cars/1018805.article
    • CommentAuthorcwatters
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014

The problem is storing enough hydrogen. Looks like the breakthrough they made is to store the hydrogen in the form of ammonia and generate it on demand. What you do with the hydrogen (burn it or fuel cell it) is up to you.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Oh goody--nothing safer than anhydrous ammonia...
    Oh, they'll probably use something like ammonium nitrate. If you make a slurry with fuel oil, you can pump it into your fuel tank just like heavy oil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well, just throw the oil in as well and leave it outside any large building you don't like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

NW

Nanomaterials Up Close: Cobalt oxide superlattice.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=36161.php
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014 edited

I really don't want anhydrous ammonia OR hydrogen in my fuel tank. I suppose hydrogen adsorbed to solids would be OK but I don't think anyone believes that this will be economical. What's the problem with the Prius or the Volt? Or for that matter, other than cost, the Tesla S? It seems that we are on the verge of getting more nice plugin hybrid cars with good fuel economy and more or less affordable prices. Seems like the right direction to go.

Now, if only the acceleration was better. I almost got clobbered trying to enter a carpool lane on a California freeway driving a rented Prius. I hit the accelerator to the floor from about 50 mph and it seemed an eternity was required to reach 70. The people closing in from behind me were most unappreciative and the view in the rear view mirror was quite unsettling.

For our out-of-state/country friends, carpool lanes in CA are reserved for high fuel efficiency vehicles or those containing two or more people. They often allow higher speeds than the usual lanes in crowded conditions (read that as "usual" conditions).
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Speaking of Cars and knowing Mary's views on them - whaddya think of my new ride ...

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Nothing the mazda with that!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Like it!

Is that a roll bar behind each seat?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

You should have got this.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim

And equipped it with a fuel cell to run this.

Po

Hydrogen breakthrough could be a game-changer for the future of car fuels.

http://phys.org/news/2014-06-hydrogen-breakthrough-game-changer-future-car.html
    Low tunnel height too for BJAS
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: maryyugoLike it!

*shock*. You do realise it is about the size of a baby's first shoe and the engine displacement is measured in mere cl, not multiples of the volume of Belgium?

Is that a roll bar behind each seat?

They do claim to be. I hope never to find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: pcstru*shock*.
    It's an assumed risk which for many people is appropriate due to the enjoyment. The Miata a lovely sports car, well engineered, well made, and good handling. I've ridden in them many times and drove one once for a friend.

I find nothing good or enjoyable in a "Smart Car" and many other POS's with similar form factors. It's ugly, stupid, unstable, uncrash-worthy and doesn't have either economy of price or of fuel compared to real cars from Japan and Korea.

The newest all electric Stupid Car is economical to operate but I doubt that it is cheap and it has execrable range (EPA average 68 miles which probably translates to 40 real miles).
    • CommentAuthortinker

Posted By: maryyugoNow, if only the acceleration was better. I almost got clobbered trying to enter a carpool lane on a California freeway driving a rented Prius. I hit the accelerator to the floor from about 50 mph and it seemed an eternity was required to reach 70. The people closing in from behind me were most unappreciative and the view in the rear view mirror was quite unsettling.

Sounds like an excellent argument in favour of manual gearboxes - third gear would have done it. Just.
    Yum! Does it go boing-boing-boing or just Hmmmmmm.....?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014

Po

Wish them luck but how are they going to store the hydrogen? In liquid form or hydride?

After hybrid success, Toyota gambles on fuel cell.

http://phys.org/news/2014-07-hybrid-success-toyota-gambles-fuel.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014

The new Edsel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017

Hydrogen fuel cell cars creep up—slowly—on electrics.

https://phys.org/news/2017-04-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars-upslowlyon.html