Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Or simply this

Higher power, end of simulation, game over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014

WE haven't sent any interstellar probes out, and to judge by the variety of BS that is apparently being considered by the best minds willing even to think about it, (many are here, of course) we may never do. Our radio visibility is a few tens of ly right now, and soon we will stop isotropic broadcasting because optical fibre gives much more capacity. So unless somebody is within say fifty light years, they will miss us. If we are typical, civilisations will be visible for about 100 y if you are within 100 ly. Add that in and it's unlikely we will ever know about the many civilisations we foolishly imagine to be on our doorstep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014

I don't know about that, if we ever build some of these super telescopes we could detect life signs and even pollution.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Pollution is a myth. All advanced civilizations will discover the Quenco principle sooner or later, so there will be no pollution. And once the PlayStation 9 or equivalent devices are on the market, all other signs of life will fade. Also 99% of all lifeforms are too stupid to cause the hypothetical pollution you mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014 edited

Angus is right. Once the technosapients invent the googleplex, and then construct Dyson spheres to power it, they might as well have fallen into a black hole as far as the rest of the universe is concerned.

So.... we should look for G and K stars that suddenly start to fade rapidly downspectrum into the IR, leaving only something that looks like a brown dwarf or a hot jupiter behind. This will be what the construction of the Dyson sphere looks like from far far away.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

So.... we should look for G and K stars that suddenly start to fade rapidly downspectrum into the IR, leaving only something that looks like a brown dwarf or a hot jupiter behind.

And once we find one . . .
    They will know. They have their nanotelespheres everywhere. We have effectively served notice.

This conversation reminds of The Watch
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Reminds of Jokester
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014

DM

SpaceX says it will be the most widely used transport company in the SOLAR SYSTEM by 2100.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2708720/SpaceX-says-widely-used-transport-company-SOLAR-SYSTEM-2100-colony-Mars-16-years.html
    I think the chick's on acid
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014

Been everywhere on earth?, take your next holiday on Mars! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014 edited

I heard that 170 was viable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

I thought it was 5 to 6 hundred but anyway, embryos, sperm and even human eggs can be frozen for heck of a long time and even a few women (even castrated men) can bring them (embryos) to term for genetic variation.
    All that's missing is propulsion and pedagogy tech. And nurturing. If we travel to the stars, we must bring with us the ability to love
    Bring some dogs too, just in case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAll that's missing is propulsion and pedagogy tech. And nurturing. If we travel to the stars, we must bring with us the ability to love

GM modified marsupials can be made to cuddle and nuture better than a robot.

Posted By: alsetalokinBring some dogs too, just in case.

A marsupial dog good idea.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: Trim
    Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanAll that's missing is propulsion and pedagogy tech. And nurturing. If we travel to the stars, we must bring with us the ability to love

GM modified marsupials can be made to cuddle and nuture better than a robot.

Posted By: alsetalokinBring some dogs too, just in case.

A marsupial dog good idea.

I think you're a couple of 'roos short of a paddock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

That's not a nice thing to say about Al, I hope he sues.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Posted By: TrimThat's not a nice thing to say about Al, I hope he sues.

In the Supreme Court of NSW, Defamation List-Alsetalokin v Loreman. Yeah, that'd work.