Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014

W

Were anybody here members of the L5 Society or Luf
    No, but I've met Keith Henson a couple of times. Fascinating guy
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

What a hoot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Yup but its better than your plan.
    Which is, according to your understanding?...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Which is to use one lot of unproven technology to move another lot of unproven technology hither and tither around the earth, collect old bits of Russian spy satellites and dumping the plutonium down on earth and seeing how many airliners you can bring down.
    I knew you were paying attention.
    But since today is my birthday, I can afford to not give a tinker's
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Talking about airliners, did you ever come across the plan to use a dozen or so jumbo jets to launch satellites via a large ribbon?

That was super weird even for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The Living Universe Foundation's ultimate goal is to ensure the long term survival of life in this universe.

Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

So you can live a lot longer.

Or your clones can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Actually, I'm serious. There seems to be an unexamined idea that LAWKI has some sort of inherent value and we are supposed to support it and expand it even if the universe starts telling us it has other plans. I'd like to examine that idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: AngusActually, I'm serious. There seems to be an unexamined idea that LAWKI has some sort of inherent value and we are supposed to support it and expand it even if the universe starts telling us it has other plans. I'd like to examine that idea.

So what is the alternative to life? Death?

What's the fun or interest in that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Rather you should ask whether more fun or interest could be had in enjoying life rather than avoiding death.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014 edited

Not so much an unexamined idea, but more of a biological imperative. Starting from simple thermodynamic constraints that energetically favor certain molecular configurations over others and which "self seed" and propagate their forms, entraining matter from the environment, progressing through passive "growers" like photosynthetic algae, all the way to top predators like our friend the therapod skink.... life wants to keep on living and will do just about anything in order to facilitate that particular dynamic. It's only natural that this biological imperative should function as a substrate or template for our worldview, even to the point of struggling against Nature. It's not hubris, it's just thermodynamics spelt funny.

ETA: Even Death itself was invented as a way to enhance the life of other organisms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinNot so much an unexamined idea, but more of a biological imperative.

I imagine biological imperatives are quite effective at deflecting the examination of an idea. That's why I think it's worth a look.

It is of course the primary feature of life qua life to do just about anything to keep on living. Consciousness, however, is able to contemplate a wider range of scenarios. Since we are conscious life we are capable of at least thinking about whether there is any particular reason for consciousness to aid the blind struggle of life to keep on living.

Is conscious life just a stepping stone between unconscious life and conscious non-life?
    Posted By: alsetalokinPeace? I've heard the name before, but I don't seem to be able to find it on a map.
    It also goes by the name "Overwhelming Force", maybe you can find it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Consciousness seems to be a good idea, let hope it comes about soon.