Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

There's no urgency in relocating ISS. It could use solar powered ion drives. I'm certain they are ripping structures off with that hundred billion price tag, but a man deserves his fantasies. With the advent of the SLS and the BFR, all locations between Earth and Moon become accessible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2017

Rendezvous with 'Oumuamua

Any relation to Papa Oumaumau?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThere's no urgency in relocating ISS.

No urgency? Without spending $200 million a year to ship it the fuel to boost it's orbit by a mere 50Km, the ISS will be returning to earth within a few years.

It could use solar powered ion drives.

It really is going to be no urgency - who knew a generation ship might be needed just to get to the moon!

I'm certain they are ripping structures off with that hundred billion price tag, but a man deserves his fantasies.

The price tag at least attempts to deal with 'reality' of moving the ISS, sadly not in the fantasy world that lives up your bum where fairies would probably come and do it for free in a two for one deal with StarTram.

I don't think people get the costs of operating in space. They don't generally get how difficult it is to get to space and stay there doing anything useful even at the scale of a small communications satellite. They don't get quality processes that attempt to build things that are utterly reliable despite being subject to various and varying extremes. They don't get that all that costs, hugely, bigly.

The ISS costs to date were estimated at $160 billion in 2014. It's 16th or 3rd birthday - depending on how you like to count. Operating costs after that have been $3 billion PA. It was never designed to be shipped to the moon and operated in orbit for presumably a few decades past it's use-by date. The infrastructure needed to service it though that transition simply doesn't exist. It would have to be bongdoodled into existence. So I think it is not unreasonable that that might actually cost more than getting it to do what it was actually designed to do in the first place. Which would be hundreds of billions in new money.

So your reasoning was what based on what?
    If we really can get under $100/Kg launch cost with BFR, I'd say the idea of StarTram, for Earth launches at least, is dead. One question is whether BFR can regularly operate at full capacity. Perhaps demand will expand to fill the void.
    Outward Bound: Colonizing Jupiter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnvjGN91Mg
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2017 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanOutward Bound: Colonizing Jupiter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnvjGN91Mg

I hadn't heard of fork handles fusion candles before.
    Bongdoodle! That's hilarious!
    • CommentAuthorloreman

"the ISS will be returning to earth within a few years"

Target practice
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

UNESCO should declare ISS a World Heritage Site.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Yeah, then we can surreptitiously mine it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2017

Posted By: loreman"the ISS will be returning to earth within a few years"

Target practice

It will be very hard to miss...
    It comes in peaces
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2017

Piece to all men, is it...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2017

The Inside Scoop on Elon Musk’s Plan to Make “Insurance for Life as We Know It”.

https://futurism.com/inside-scoop-elon-musks-plan-make-insurance-life-know/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017

Well, hasn't it always been known that with sufficient energy to direct, one may go to distant places relatively rapidly?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2017 edited

Yabut, where does the energy come from to run these high-powered lasers? I didn't see that in the Wang squib. It really sounds a lot like the Groucho quote: "If we had some eggs we could have eggs and ham, if we had some ham."