Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

One thing I have learned over the years of my involvement with aviation:

Anything will fly if you throw it hard enough.

And forget about "a good landing is any landing you can walk away from". Now it's more like "a successful flight winds up with all the big pieces in one pile."
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2019 edited

That connector's pretty, though I have doubts about the shroud for the shaft being held on with what appears to be a couple of O-rings. Probably doesn't matter if the thing comes off accidentally.
    It's OK. It's chained together!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRK109YSHNY
    Posted By: AsterixThat connector's pretty, though I have doubts about the shroud for the shaft being held on with what appears to be a couple of O-rings. Probably doesn't matter if the thing comes off accidentally.

I thought they were tie-wraps. Perhaps that's just an oilpaper wrap, something to keep the shiny shaft from rusting while it's sitting there in coastal Texas salt air.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2019

Is there an Ugliest Rocket award?
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

This prototype will never get to see max Q (or at least not the max Q that the orbital version does), or reentry heating. The pictured rocket will only go to 22 km so they can practice the skydive/belly flop landing maneuver that they plan to use in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Thank you. Somewhat more reassured.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Indeed, this looks like a cable tie:

I see how Musk is able to under bid everyone . . . he hires no QA people.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: korkskrewThis prototype will never get to see max Q (or at least not the max Q that the orbital version does), or reentry heating. The pictured rocket will only go to 22 km so they can practice the skydive/belly flop landing maneuver that they plan to use in the future.

Does it have a self-destruct charge built in, so that the range safety officer can abort the launch with extreme prejudice should it wander off the designated trajectory?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: goatcheezIndeed, this looks like a cable tie:

Somewhat less reassured again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The whole thing right from the beginning gave off the air of being made up as they went along.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019

Posted By: goatcheez[div class=CommentHeader][span][/span][/div][div class=CommentBody id=CommentBody_2101281]Indeed, this looks like a cable tie:[/div]

Maybe I should send those poor folks some of the stainless cable ties from my junkbox.
    I just hope I'm awake when they light it off. If it works, that will be spectacular. If it fails... even more so.
    The landing's the thing. The Flop Flip.
    Is that the purpose of those silly top fins then? They rotate 90 degrees to become the front legs?

No, that can't be right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

No. It swoops down in a horizontal position then turns nose up near the ground to land on it's butt. The sims are rather artistic and, probably, hopeful. But, like the reformed short sellers of TSLA stock, I've learned not to second guess the MUSKeteer.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: alsetalokinDoes it have a self-destruct charge built in, so that the range safety officer can abort the launch with extreme prejudice should it wander off the designated trajectory?
    Yes. The FAA would not allow them to launch without it.
    Posted By: goatcheezIt swoops down in a horizontal position then turns nose up near the ground to land on it's butt.

And is it supposed to do that aerodynamically, or by using extremely vectored thrust from engines?

Posted By: korkskrew
    Posted By: alsetalokinDoes it have a self-destruct charge built in, so that the range safety officer can abort the launch with extreme prejudice should it wander off the designated trajectory?
    Yes. The FAA would not allow them to launch without it.

That's a relief. I'm only a couple hundred miles away.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: AngusA great example of why interstellar travel will never be developed under capitalism.

You say that, but capitalism produces a lot of ultra rich who need something to piss their money away on. These are often emotionally immature men who want to play with space rockets - so it's a perfect fit!

Anyway, why would any decent non-capitalistic system ever fly to mars? Where is the common utility in it? Why would you ever spend billions on space travel when that money could, for example, feed poor people?
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: goatcheezIt swoops down in a horizontal position then turns nose up near the ground to land on it's butt.

And is it supposed to do that aerodynamically, or by using extremely vectored thrust from engines?
    Both.