Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Oh that will be fun. I hope there is lots of drone video.
    It's an optimal trajectory in a certain sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019

• CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2019 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIt's an optimal trajectory in a certain sense.
    If you don't fuck it up.

Fun fact: This prototype weighs 80 tons more than the orbital version. They weren't trying to optimize anything during it's construction. They just need a vehicle of a similar form to test landing, including how to develop landing gear that will work for landing on other celestial bodies with no finished surface, and then relanding on earth with no service or maintenance. I'm pretty sure they are operating under the assumption that it will be a one flight vehicle.

If they land it successfully, I think it will really impress a whole bunch of people. It certainly will impress me. More likely though, that they don't and it will be impressive for a different reason.
    Reynolds Number

no, it's not about aluminum
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

If it's 80 tonnes too heavy it will certainly test the landing gear design.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Yes, but it won't have a payload. Fair trade off.

Actually not so fair. I think the max payload for return to earth is 50 tonnes. I may be wrong about that. It's just a number lurking in my memory for some reason. Maybe 20? Do you remember Andrew?
    It may not have a payload but I'll bet it has a few pantloads.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

If they really land that thing in one piece... On the first try. That would impress me.

But a crash is probably more enlightening than a successful landing by pure luck.
    I think it's 50t.
    Posted By: aber0derBut a crash is probably more enlightening than a successful landing by pure luck.

Exactly. Success reinforces past behaviour and teaches nothing new, and could always be accidental. Failure, while pretty much accidental by definition, still provides needed information and encourages development and change.

If one survives the failure, that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

THE US IS TESTING A SPACE PROPULSION SYSTEM THAT DOESN’T USE FUEL.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/us-testing-space-propulsion-system-no-fuel
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

MEET THE STARTUP BUILDING ROBOT SWARMS TO MINE ICE ON THE MOON.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/smart-robots-swarms-mine-ice-moon
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

YOUR HEARING AID BATTERY HAS TO BE REPLACED!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019

NONSENSE--IT'S POWERED BY THE IEC EARTH ENGINE.
    SpaceX Starship Mk1 Second Canard Installation - November 4, 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7E3GpYWC_k
    Some extemporisation apparent.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019 edited

Well, well. I thought 'Jews in space' were weird. Now we have rednecks in space...
    So they are calling them canards? Somehow I find that strangely appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019

Heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanSpaceX Starship Mk1 Second Canard Installation - November 4, 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7E3GpYWC_k
    Some extemporisation apparent.

Those cherrypickers are amazing, especially the blue one. Scary as hell just to watch. The software to make the platform follow an arbitrary course in 3D space without it overbalancing and falling over must be pretty tricky. I wonder if it runs on Windows CE.
    The whole operation looks terribly unsafe, and not just because of the Keystone Cops effect of speedup. It's a wonder they haven't killed anyone yet.

Ooops the canard crane swings just a little bit in the gusty Gulf breeze and the canard bumps into the platform of the blue cherrypicker which is at the CG limit allowed by the software and pushes it just enough to start teetering and the software safety mechanisms kick in and the whole thing starts oscillating and slips into an unanticipated failure mode later referred to as "trebuchet mode" and the three workers on the platform are launched into the Gulf of Mexico while the cherrypicker itself topples into the Starship and knocks it over onto.... oh never mind.