Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2019

Bummer.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2019 edited

Did they really seal a cryogenic liquid-phase gas in a vessel without a vent or pressure relief system? I wonder what they expected to happen, out there in the South Texas sunshine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2019

Shirley not!! The relief valve must have frozen.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

That was the third pressure test. This one with fuel. It was the liquid oxygen tank that exploded.

I think it's pretty interesting that it failed on the very last seam that they welded on that thing.

Mk 3 has already been started. It will be constructed somewhat differently, but I'm a little uncertain how differently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

They just put the pressure dome on Mk 2 also.
    Yes, and now it seems not to fit into its tent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Was it supposed to do that?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: TrimI like the idea of a rotating cable on asteroids or Phobos, could be a cheap way to transfer carbon to the moon.

For certain values of cheap. Great idea though, the moon is just crying out for carbon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I originally thought that what with loads of carbonaceous asteroids hitting the moon there would be loads of carbon on the moon, how wrong I was.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: korkskrewThat was the third pressure test. This one with fuel. It was the liquid oxygen tank that exploded.

I think it's pretty interesting that it failed on the very last seam that they welded on that thing.

Mk 3 has already been started. It will be constructed somewhat differently, but I'm a little uncertain how differently.
    I read this last night on Twitter but it was second hand info. I don't know how accurate it is.
    SpaceXThe purpose of today's test was to pressurize systems to the max, so the outcome was not completely unexpected. There were no injuries, nor is this a serious setback.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Yep, the video was notable for the absence of scurrying doozers. An abundance of caution prevailed. But did they close the roads? I thought the thing blew up before the scheduled road closures. I hope the camera up on the cherry-picker was a high frame-rate special.

All that crumpled sheet metal, elongated rivet holes, cracked welds, distorted framework. The whole shebang (no pun intended) will have to be scrapped, I imagine. Not a serious setback? Well, at least the pad is relatively intact. They still have some even more spectacular failures awaiting them up ahead in the timeline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: alsetalokinNot a serious setback?

Musk hired all the folks from Tepco's PR department.

Very good unexpected explosion as we anticipated with all results as expected safely within norms and no setback of .....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Hello, saner. I think it's been a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

It has been a very long while. (edit: other than stopping in for the 10 year). Hi.

Seems I missed the final chapter in the Steorn saga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Not necessarily. I can give hints that Steorn's history may once again be a subject of discussion.

Soon.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinThey still have some even more spectacular failures awaiting them up ahead in the timeline.

It's going to be landing on Mars by 2022 and sending people to the moon in 2023, dontchaknow?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: AngusSoon.

Never gets old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: saner
    Posted By: AngusSoon.

Never gets old.

<fx : *ka-ching* >
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

I just looked at the photos from https://www.tmahlmann.com/photos/Rockets/SpaceX/Starship/ that I posted last time I dropped by. If the same welders did the tanks as did the skin, not surprised it failed.

Anyone have any good pictures of the tank? TIA.

I did find this;
    https://lifeboat.com/blog.images/spacexs-orbital-starship-prototype-construction-progress-detailed-in-new-photos2.jpg
    Looks like the tank is welded to the outer skin maybe? Very odd. The thermal induced stresses and distortions on this thing are going to rip it to shreds.

Also, where is the cargo supposed to be secured in this thing? How is it loaded and deployed?